Need help--Technics SL-D5

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Need help--Technics SL-D5

Post by jboger »

When I first got on this forum several years ago, members were very helpful with regards to a modern record player that I bought for my daughter. It was a cheap machine but decent enough. Unbeknownst to her--she's in Italy--I upgraded (I hope) her turntable, a Technics SL-D5. I took a chance on it and believe I got it for a reasonable price. I know the functions were working. And I knew the tone arm moved. So I took a chance. If I put a record on the spindle and press the on button, (1) the table rotates, (2) the record drops, (3) the counter decreases by one--can do up to a stack of six records--and the tone arm moves. But there's the problem. If you look at the photo, the tone arm points up at an angle. This angle never changes. The tone arm moves over towards the record, doesn't drop, then backs away but does not return to the rest position. Do I have a simple problem, one of adjusting a counterbalance? Or should I chuck it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John
Attachments
DSCF1531.jpg
DSCF1531.jpg (77.55 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
DSCF1530.jpg
DSCF1530.jpg (89.64 KiB) Viewed 1682 times

jboger
Victor IV

Re: Need help--Technics SL-D5

Post by jboger »

Aha! I see the problem. The tone arm should rest on a platform. This little platform should move up and raise the tone arm, then it should lower the tone arm gently to the record. It does move up and down. And there is a little lever to operate it manually. so, now, how do I adjust the position of the tone arm?

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I got it! The counterbalance has a course adjustment that moves the entire weight and a fine adjustment. It works! Eureka!

Should I delete this post? Still, I wouldn't mind knowing what I need to do right by this machine. Sure wouldn't mind some advice.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Hi John-- Do you often talk to yourself? :) This hobby will do that to you! :)

Brad

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

All the time! But seriously, I'm relieved it works. Mechanical things I can deal with. I don't want to start climbing the learning curve on electronics.

I want to give this to my daughter for a Christmas present. What do I need to get it fully operational? I know nothing about these things. I figure I need an amplifier, but what one? What's compatible? I can take pictures of the leads if someone wants to advise me. I think they're called banana plugs. Also speakers. Need them as well. The cartridge installed is a Pickering XV-15. Seems to be OK, but maybe I should change it?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

jboger wrote:All the time! But seriously, I'm relieved it works. Mechanical things I can deal with. I don't want to start climbing the learning curve on electronics.

I want to give this to my daughter for a Christmas present. What do I need to get it fully operational? I know nothing about these things. I figure I need an amplifier, but what one? What's compatible? I can take pictures of the leads if someone wants to advise me. I think they're called banana plugs. Also speakers. Need them as well. The cartridge installed is a Pickering XV-15. Seems to be OK, but maybe I should change it?
To play records with this, you will need to plug it into either a standalone pre-amp and then a regular amplifier, or a receiver with a phono jack (which usually has a pre-amp built in). And yes, you'll need speakers.

You also said your daughter is in Italy. If you're in Europe, no problem, but if you're in the USA, your daughter will have to deal with the different voltage and cycle frequency used in the USA. Fortunately, it looks like this turntable has strobes for both 50 and 60 Hz, so it would just be a matter of the voltage.

As for what pre-amp/amp/receiver/speakers/cartridge you should (or shouldn't) buy, there are a lot of variables there. You'll get as many opinions as you ask for.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I would try to find a manual for your Technics SL-D5, it should explain how to adjust and balance the tonearm. Just from a general principle, the process on my Dual CS-5000 is the following:
1. Set the dials for tracking weight and anti-skating to 0
2. Make sure that the cartridge and needle is properly installed. Depending on your cartridge, remove the needle guard.
3. Now move the tonearm in a position between tonearm rest and turntable and adjust (screw in or out) the balance weight at the other end of the tonearm until the tonearm floats in a horizontal, kind of "weightless" position.
4. Put the tonearm back on its rest and set the dials for tracking weight and anti-skating. The weight is determined by your cartridge and needle and should come from the documentation of your cartridge. For LPs probably somewhere between 0.75 to 1.5 grams. For 78s somewhere between 1.75 and 3 grams (or even higher if your cartridge and needle support it). A good starting point for anti-skating is the same as the tracking weight. If you want to get more scientific you can find tons of information and opinions on the many audio sites via google search.

Hope that helps.
Andreas

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

An amend to alang's post.
Once you have the arm balanced (floating weightless), hold the metal part of the counterweight still with your fingers and turn the black dial on the front of it so the 0 lines up with the line on the top of the arm. Then turn the whole counterweight to set your tracking force.
This is instruction 3 ½ on the list.
You can find a manual for this on the Vinylengine website library. It is an excellent resource.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I'm just glad I could help!

8-)

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Thanks to all. I will download the manual.