17. 17D
18. no
19. green, REPLACEMENT, NOT ORIGINAL
20. no
21. #3, form 890
22. no lip
23. 44-½"
24. none

You didn't ask, but I'll add, it has the burnt-orange color turntable felt.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: A and B 250 Database Project

Post by JerryVan »

Only one other B250 entered into the data I see...

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Fran, As an owner of an Amberola A1, there is another item that can vary that you may want to include on the questionnaire.
I'm not quite sure if this is the same on the A 250, but on the Amberola A and B models, the feet can differ in design. Some feet have an acanthus leaf design, while other, later, I think, feet look like hooves.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

marcapra wrote:Fran, As an owner of an Amberola A1, there is another item that can vary that you may want to include on the questionnaire.
I'm not quite sure if this is the same on the A 250, but on the Amberola A and B models, the feet can differ in design. Some feet have an acanthus leaf design, while other, later, I think, feet look like hooves.
The hooved feet are early production Pooley cabinets.

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

JerryVan wrote:I don't believe I've entered my B250 data yet, so here goes;

1. B250
2. SM-1857
3. No stamping
4. 3, including the spindle location.
5. can't see
6. no label
7. none
8. none
9. 32, rear
10. maroon
10a. yes, slider/cable
11. gold, outlined in black
11a. no
12. motor plate
13. type 3
14. oak
15. no
16. black
17. 17D
18. no
19. green, REPLACEMENT, NOT ORIGINAL
20. no
21. #3, form 890
22. no lip
23. 44-½"
24. none

You didn't ask, but I'll add, it has the burnt-orange color turntable felt.
Thank you, Jerry! I appreciate your taking the time to answer the questions so thoroughly. I've added your info to my spreadsheet.

Best regards,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

marcapra wrote:Fran, As an owner of an Amberola A1, there is another item that can vary that you may want to include on the questionnaire.
Hi Marc, as George already has answered your post, I'll only add that I've noted 2 of the only 3 A-300s I've recorded images of had hooved feet. However all of the A 250's I've recorded images of, have only Acanthus Leaf feet.

Best,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

fran604g wrote:I'll only add that I've noted 2 of the only 3 A-300s I've recorded images of had hooved feet. However all of the A 250's I've recorded images of, have only Acanthus Leaf feet.

Best,
Fran
That makes sense, because the hooved Pooley cabinets were originally (1910) intended for the Amberola 1A. The Circassian examples sold very slowly, so there were still some of the original 100 ordered from Pooley to make up A-300 Disc Phonographs in 1912-13. But the mahogany Pooley cabinets with hooved feet had been used for Amberolas by the time the A-250 Disc Phonograph was introduced.

George P.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

This appears to be an early hooved foot pooley Amberola cabinet that was refitted with a B250 DD Standard mech. Please see this thread http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=33219 for pictures and any updates.

1) "B250" Data plate is an Amberola with over stamping done

2) "SM - 4529"

3) None

4) 2 oil ports

5) 4+4

6) none

7) Later Standard "B" Mech. Black horn

8) See 7

9) No # found in horn compartment "467" under lid rim

10) “Black”

10a) "Yes" "Slider Control and Cable"

11) No pinstripe

11a) “No”.

12) mounted through the “Motor-plate”

13) “Type 3”

14) "Mahogany"

15) “Yes”

16) “Black”?

17) 4 cylinder drawers

18) No

19) No

20) Non located et. Didn't get to look behind drawers yet

21) Non present

22) “Lip”

23) 43 ½"

24) No
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thank you very much, Gary, and congratulations on another very interesting machine! I've added your observations to my spreadsheet.

Happy Holidays!

Fran

msherman
Victor O

Post by msherman »

1) Model designation on the data plate? "A250"

2) What is the serial number on the dataplate? "SM161"

3) What is the number stamped into the top of the motor-plate beneath the turntable? Example: 161-A1

4) While you have the turntable removed, how many oil “ports” are present on the top of the motor-plate? 1

5) Looking at the underside of the motor-plate (if you are able to) how many oil “tubes” are present? N/A

6) What is the “Date” on the paper label stuck to the inside of the cabinet rear inspection door? N/A

7) What is the stamped number on the “1st Horn Joint” located directly below the motor mechanism? c N/A

8) What is the stamped number on the “2nd Horn Joint” just before the horn flairs out? N/A

9) Is there a number conspicuously stamped into the cabinet on the bottom of the horn compartment? 161

10) What color is the motor-plate finish? “Reddish Maroon”

10a) Is there a "Tone control or Mute Ball" present? "No"

11) What color is the pin striping on the perimeter of the motor-plate? “Gold”

11a) Is there decorative pin striping applied to the corners of the motor-plate? “Yes”

12) Is the operating lever (lowers the reproducer for play) mounted to the “Cabinet”

13) Which type of start/stop lever configuration does your unit have? “Type 1”

14) What is the cabinet wood type? "Mahogany"

15) Are there “Tone Slots” cut into in the sides of the cabinet? “Yes”

16) Is the horn painted in “Mahogany Wood Grain”

17) What type of record storage system does yours have; “17-A”

18) Is there an “Official Laboratory Medallion” mounted to the turntable trim piece? "No"

19) Is there “grille cloth” present? If there is; what color is it, and please provide a brief description of the material. Yes. Pale greenish brown, very thin

20) Are there any dealer tag(s) or decal(s) present? No

21) What is the "Cabinet Factory No." (if any)? This can usually be found on a sticker inside of the horn compartment of the cabinet. Please provide the “Form No.” and any other notable numbers if present. N/A

22) Does your cabinet have a conspicuous “Lip” around the inside top perimeter of your turntable compartment? “Lip”

23) How tall is your Phonograph, measuring from the bottom of the right front foot up along the cabinet corner frame piece (do not include the caster if one is present, please) turntable compartment corner? 44”

24) Are there any sales receipts, shipping documentation, etc., original to the phonograph? Dated and serialized materials are particularly noteworthy. None
Attachments
A250-0.jpg
A250-1.jpg
A250-2.jpg
A250-3.jpg
A250-4.jpg
A250-5.jpg
A250-6.jpg
A250-7.jpg