Show me your brushes

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

Show me your brushes

Post by gramophone78 »

I thought I would start up a thread on the ever important "record brush".Lets see the different types,styles and in some cases whacky names of some stores.One in my collection has a needle tin built in the middle.I would like te see if there is another like this out there.
100_5932.JPG
100_5933.JPG
100_5937.JPG
Record Brush #4.JPG

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Show me your brushes

Post by gramophoneshane »

Here's a few I could lay my hands on. I'll post some more when I get time to hunt for them.
Attachments
record dusters 002.JPG
record dusters 005.JPG
record dusters 006.JPG
record dusters 007.JPG
record dusters 009.JPG

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Wow I especially like that one with the William & Mary Council pictured on it.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

I have a few, but they are fairly common. This came with my Jacobean and is my favorite. I believe these may have been provided by Edison with some machines. It works very well.
Attachments
Picture 015.jpg
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Brad,that's a cool brush.I have a feeling you may have a few more to show......come on lets see them.Remeber the wackier the better!!!! :lol:.Here's a dealer name from Cal. that reminds one of "surf & sand".All I need with this one is a machine from "Biffs phono & board shack" :lol: .BTW,for those Panatrope fans out there......the brush that you see at the begining I found in the machine that is on it.I left the machine and took the brush. :oops:.Shane,I love the early paper covered Gramophone brush.Made for the British market but, made in the USA :roll:
100_5953.JPG
Last edited by gramophone78 on Fri May 07, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Brad wrote:I have a few, but they are fairly common. This came with my Jacobean and is my favorite. I believe these may have been provided by Edison with some machines. It works very well.
Brad, Just wondering if your brush would not work with some models? Seems like a Jacobean or Sheraton would be okay for example but I wonder if it's not too long to be used in a machine with deeply recessed platter like a chippendale or some of the councils?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Valecnik wrote:
Brad wrote:I have a few, but they are fairly common. This came with my Jacobean and is my favorite. I believe these may have been provided by Edison with some machines. It works very well.
Brad, Just wondering if your brush would not work with some models? Seems like a Jacobean or Sheraton would be okay for example but I wonder if it's not too long to be used in a machine with deeply recessed platter like a chippendale or some of the councils?
You shouldn't use these brushes on a record while it is on the turntable- that results in the dirt being brushed into the machine where it quickly ends up back on the record.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

estott wrote:You shouldn't use these brushes on a record while it is on the turntable- that results in the dirt being brushed into the machine where it quickly ends up back on the record.
In my experience, most or all of the visible dust ends up on the brush, i.e., trapped in/by the fibers of the pad, and not on the machine.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Here's a few more I dug out.
My favorite is the Brunswick as it's in virtually mint condition & even came in it's original box.
Attachments
Brunswick with original box
Brunswick with original box
Rexonola & Nielson music store
Rexonola & Nielson music store
Decca and Palings music store
Decca and Palings music store

frenchmarky
Victor I

Post by frenchmarky »

These are really cool looking! Especially like the ones that look like little phono records, like those gold Vocalions.