Victor albums --- for what model(s) are these used???

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Pathe Logical
Victor II

Victor albums --- for what model(s) are these used???

Post by Pathe Logical »

Referring only to the four Victor Talking Machine Company albums at the right side of the first two photographs --- what machines are these for? The lighter brown one at the far right holds 12" records, while the other three are for 10" records. All four carry the December 17th, 1918 patent date. Are they for Orthophonic machines, and if so, were they made before, after, or concurrently with the other two similarly styled Orthophonic albums pictured at the left? How many are in a set for a specific machine? These are not pictured in Baumbach's Victor Data Book.

I would appreciate any help or comments.

Thanks,
Bob
Attachments
DSCN0714.JPG
DSCN0717.JPG
DSCN0722.JPG

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Re: Victor albums --- for what model(s) are these used???

Post by De Soto Frank »

I think those are for three different machines, 2-each.

One pair looks like the three that came with my Orthophonic 7-11, which has a Radiola 18 in the bottom.

I think the middle pair.
De Soto Frank

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Re: Victor albums --- for what model(s) are these used???

Post by Pathe Logical »

An update:

I came across the undated advertisement (shown below) on eBay featuring a VE 7-11 with the albums in question (referring only to the four Victor Talking Machine Company albums at the right side of the first two photographs in the original post) plainly displayed in the machine pictured. So I guess we now know these albums were provide for use in the 7-11s at some point in their history (likely early on in that models production). I don't know if this style album was also used in other contemporaneous models.

In the advertisement, the albums are described as "four handsome record-albums fully bound in buckram, with backs stamped in gold and decorated with bright-colored labels". For those who don't know (I didn't), dictionary.com defines buckram as "a stiff cotton fabric for interlinings, book bindings, etc.".

Has anyone seen other original advertisement/photos/pictures of this particular album style in use? How about existing examples of this album style with designations higher than "Volume IV" on their spines? Higher volume numbers would indicate the use of this album style in machines other than the 7-11, which held only four albums.

Thanks for any additional information,
Bob
Attachments
Victor VE 7-11 with early-style,  buckram-spine albums..jpg