Repairing those short reproducer tops and chipped bases.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Herman
Victor II

Repairing those short reproducer tops and chipped bases.

Post by Herman »

I have not opened most of my boxes since I moved couple of years ago but the bug has bitten again and I am now pulling all my junk out.

Here I have repaired a Model O reproducer top which had only half a neck and filled out the chip on the side which is most often the case with these reproducers.

½ Copper piping is exactly the same outside diameter as the reproducer tube. I used the "L" grade which has a thicker wall but has the same OD.
I use Permatex Cold weld which I find more workable than JB Weld to bond the copper to the reproducer tube. After it sets up and not fully cured, I file to level the bond. I use silver tape to finish the job.

The chip in the side is also done filling out with Permatex Cold Weld and then filing to to match the original shape. Again silver foil tape to finish off. You can see where the tape is applied but looks so much better tan the ugly chip.
Attachments
orep444.jpg
orep777.jpg
orep333.jpg
orep111.jpg

Dave D
Victor IV

Re: Repairing those short reproducer tops and chipped bases.

Post by Dave D »

Thanks for sharing!
Dave D

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Great tip. Is Permaweld a 2 part epoxy, or is applied straight from the container? It seams like a easy, workable solution.
Harvey Kravitz

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

Phonofreak wrote:Great tip. Is Permaweld a 2 part epoxy, or is applied straight from the container? It seams like a easy, workable solution.
Harvey Kravitz
Permatex Cold Weld 2 part epoxy