Unusual Edison W250

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Unusual Edison W250

Post by phonogal »

I have had this Edison W250 for several years and never gave it a thought that the metal finish was unusual.
This machine has oxidized metal finish. It was also fitted with an automatic stop.I have searched the internet and have not found another W250 with this finish. Was this a special order? Anyone seen another one?
Attachments
IMG_20180422_215628338.jpg
IMG_20180422_215620057.jpg
IMG_20180423_082218191.jpg

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Unusual Edison W250

Post by fran604g »

I don't want to bring too much controversy to the post, but the finish on your W-250 doesn't very much resemble the "Oxidized" finish found on established A-150 images I have examined.

Images of a particularly nice A-150 example can be found at Valecnik's website here: http://www.phonographcompany.com/index. ... &detail=11

I've included one of his photos for illustrative purposes.
IMG_0346.JPG
Just to further support my statement, here is another image I have stored on my PC, of another such finish (an old eBAY listing):
s-l1600 (7).jpg
As you can see, your finish is very different from the actual Edison Co. applied finish, and in my humble opinion, it looks to me as if someone applied the finish themselves at some point in the history of your W-250.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

No Problem Fran.That's why I posted it. What would you call this finish than? Here are a few more pics. Anyone seen one like this? I really don't think someone just applied this finish. If you look at more pictures of the Edison oxidized machines, you will see there are several different looking patterns etc.
Attachments
w2501.jpg
w2503.jpg
w2502.jpg
Last edited by phonogal on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

A few more. Interested to know what everyone thinks.
Attachments
w2504.jpg
w2505.jpg

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Hi Phonogal,

I think that's pretty much standard finish for the W-250 hardware. Mine, (pictures on the below link) and others I've seen were are pretty much the same, although the contrast in yours seems to be a bit more pronounced. Later, they seemed to standardize for the W-19 with that "gun metal" finish that is often seen on councils, Edisonics, long plays, even the late C-19s.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=2609

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

phonogal wrote:No Problem Fran.That's why I posted it. What would you call this finish than? Here are a few more pics. Anyone seen one like this? I really don't think someone just applied this finish.
I honestly don't know.

The reproducer -- now that I can see it more clearly in your latest images -- looks as if it still retains some of what appears to be original "oxidised bronze" elements.

As for the horn throat, it looks to me as if the original gun-metal finish (referred by Edison literature as "Antique") up near the retaining ring (I circled the place in red, below) is still present. Maybe the horn elbow was damaged/scratched, and it was touched up by a previous owner? I just don't know.

As you can see the image I included of my C 19 #172,249, the original finish shows deterioration from scratches and fading. I wonder how durable this finish may (not) have been.

Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts...

Best,
Fran
w2503.jpg
Mine, showing the alternating black/bronze finish that would have been original.:
DSC07788.JPG
Last edited by fran604g on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Valecnik wrote:Hi Phonogal,

I think that's pretty much standard finish for the W-250 hardware. Mine, (pictures on the below link) and others I've seen were are pretty much the same, although the contrast in yours seems to be a bit more pronounced. Later, they seemed to standardize for the W-19 with that "gun metal" finish that is often seen on councils, Edisonics, long plays, even the late C-19s.

I'm beginning to think that someone tried to match the finish of an earlier oxidized bronze reproducer to the later Antique finish horn throat.

Best,
Fran

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

I should add another thought:

I know the Antique (so-called gun-metal) finish wasn't introduced until 1922, so is it possible there was a preceding finish that may have been used earlier?

We know the A-150 was (reportedly - Frow) the only DD Phonograph that came with an oxidized bronze finish, correct?

Is it possible that some few other machines may have had some short-lived different version of the oxidized bronze finish?

Best,
Fran

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

fran604g wrote:
Valecnik wrote:Hi Phonogal,

I'm beginning to think that someone tried to match the finish of an earlier oxidized bronze reproducer to the later Antique finish horn throat.

Best,
Fran
The finish seems to be the same on all the metal pieces.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

My W-250 has the same finish as yours, Phonogal. It also has the Duncan stop like yours appears to. Unfortunately my machine has been in storage for a few years now because of space issues, but I sure do love it, mine also originally came from Massachusetts where it lived until I got it ten or so years ago. They're BIG machines for a floor model and imposing. I hope someday soon to be able to have mine back out on display, the grill and different metal finish really do make it stand out.

Sean