Which would you buy? *Update*

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Which would you buy?

Post by Jerry B. »

The XII is somewhat rare and somewhat special, but not really much fun to use or to look at, so it might be a good candidate for resale to defray costs.
Collector's perspectives are so interesting. The VV-XII is the only table model I've kept in my collection. OK, there's two of them... the early plain XII in mahogany and the later fancy one in oak. OK, again not quite true. As I write and think, I have the fancy little tea cart cabinet that takes the VV-IX with pretty little feet. I think the VV-XII is so interesting because it was the first table model Victrola and also very expensive. It's a testament to the power of Victor advertising and the desire for people to have the popular and fashionable invisible horned talking machine. The sound forced through the little horn with skinny doors is a clear case of style over substance. You paid more and were audibly punished but it looked good and your neighbors were impressed.

Jerry Blais

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Jerry B. wrote:
The XII is somewhat rare and somewhat special, but not really much fun to use or to look at, so it might be a good candidate for resale to defray costs.
Collector's perspectives are so interesting. The VV-XII is the only table model I've kept in my collection. OK, there's two of them... the early plain XII in mahogany and the later fancy one in oak. OK, again not quite true. As I write and think, I have the fancy little tea cart cabinet that takes the VV-IX with pretty little feet. I think the VV-XII is so interesting because it was the first table model Victrola and also very expensive. It's a testament to the power of Victor advertising and the desire for people to have the popular and fashionable invisible horned talking machine. The sound forced through the little horn with skinny doors is a clear case of style over substance. You paid more and were audibly punished but it looked good and your neighbors were impressed.

Jerry Blais
Yes--and I actually prefer the more simple but elegant look of the first version of the XII in mahogany :)

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

OldRestorer wrote:Hello everyone,
I was contacted by a friends cousin this week. He said he has a warehouse full of mostly antique radios and some phonographs. He wants to sell many but will only sell in lots of 100 minimum. I counted about 16 phonographs (I think). His pictures were "live" so they are all shaky and terrible quality.
If you had a choice between these (He only knew 7 of them off hand) which 4 would you choose.

Victor IV
Victor VV-VI
Edison Triumph with horn
Columbia Q
Victrola XII
Amberola V
Edison Standard W/ Cygnet horn.

I don't know prices on the phonos but if it is anything close to the radio prices I will be very happy.
I wont know until next Wednesday but i will shoot some pics if he lets me.

Kirk

P.S. I WILL NOT SHARE HIS INFO. He was very clear on that when I asked if I could share in the group. Sorry... He is a little eccentric..
Would go with:
Victor IV (if outside horn)
Triumph
Amberola V

The fourth is a toss-up between the VV-XII (not a regular player, but rare), and the Cygnet Standard (especially if it is 2/4 minute).

Bill

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Take them all if price and condition allow. The cygnet horn Standard is a must. I paid over$350 for a 10 panel cygnet horn alone at Stanton's a couple of auctions ago. The Amberola V is a fabulous player for 4 min celluloid cylinders. Not quite an Opera or 1b, but excellent nontheless. They have great sound and speed regulation. One problem I have seen with these is a cracked governor drive gear. This will cause an audible knock with each rotation of the mandrel although the machine will run well. Also, be certain that the V is not a post-fire model which is a V cabinet containing a vastly inferior Amberola 50/75 mechanism and horn.

Jim

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

My choices (keeping in mind I far prefer cylinders to 78s):

Victor IV
Edison Triumph with horn
Amberola V
Edison Standard W/ Cygnet horn.

All good playing machines and worthy to be included in any collection. All dependent upon condition of course.

Scott

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Buy them all! :twisted: Sell the ones that don't fit in your collection, but enjoy them all in the meantime...

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Sorry about that.
It is not the outside horn IV. He said it is a tabletop inside horn.
The prices are based on what I buy. I am planning on 100 pieces or so. I have no idea where I will put them but it is like buying in bulk. The more you buy the more you save, lol...
Thanks for the recommendations on the upgrades. I guess the Amberola V would be better than the 30...
I really hope I did not jinx myself, lol...
And YES, I will offer the others here.

Kirk
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Ok then the path is super clear now:

Victrola VV-IV (formerly "Victor IV") - pass
Victor VV-VI - pass
Edison Triumph with horn - keeper
Columbia Q - pass, or get for resale
Victrola XII - keeper, or get for resale
Amberola V - keeper, and sell your Amberola 30
Edison Standard W/ Cygnet horn. - keeper, and sell your lesser Standard

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

OldRestorer wrote:Sorry about that.
It is not the outside horn IV. He said it is a tabletop inside horn.
The prices are based on what I buy. I am planning on 100 pieces or so. I have no idea where I will put them but it is like buying in bulk. The more you buy the more you save, lol...
Thanks for the recommendations on the upgrades. I guess the Amberola V would be better than the 30...
I really hope I did not jinx myself, lol...
And YES, I will offer the others here.

Kirk
If you have trouble coming up with 100 items after you are granted access--please keep in mind that I am still looking for a nice, original restored or unrestored Edison C-4 Radio/Phonograph that is complete and that I don't have to refinish. I would gladly pay you for it and make arrangements to have it shipped to me or to Chuck to restore it electronically if need be. Thanks! Mark Roberts

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

This is why you never say something before you own it.. I went to the sellers house and not only were they gone but some of the pictured radios were gone too. I was real pissed to be honest. I held my tongue and ended up buying 75 radios and 7 other phonographs. For the price it was still very worth it.

I bought the pictured suitcase players from him. One needs a new gasket, One needs oil on the motor, and the others all seem to work real nice.
I also got these tabletop units from him.. They will be Parts parts parts, lol... I could re-veneer the VV-IX but I doubt I will find time. I was also given a box of misc parts.
Kirk
Attachments
IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG (151.31 KiB) Viewed 943 times
IMG_1215.JPG
IMG_1215.JPG (95.25 KiB) Viewed 943 times
IMG_1210.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG (112 KiB) Viewed 943 times
IMG_1175.JPG
IMG_1175.JPG (110.44 KiB) Viewed 943 times
IMG_1173.JPG
IMG_1173.JPG (88.5 KiB) Viewed 943 times
IMG_1171.JPG
IMG_1171.JPG (99.45 KiB) Viewed 943 times
It's not what you say... It's what you do...