#20432 Victor 78, 2 cuts each side?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
JAR
Victor II

#20432 Victor 78, 2 cuts each side?

Post by JAR »

I have a Victor #20432 78. 1927.

2 cuts each side, 20432A 1. Dance of Greeting. 2. Konderpolka.
20432B 1.I see You. 2. Carrousel.

When did they start putting 2 cuts on each side?

JAR

Viva-voce
Victor III

Re: #20432 Victor 78, 2 cuts each side?

Post by Viva-voce »

Not sure exactly when--but certainly during the acoustic era. I've seen batwing records with two or more bands per side--including recordings marketed for children or for instructional purposes..

Steven

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

To be pedantic, it's all technically one cut as they cannot pick up the recording head and drop back down mid-side. :) They still can't do that today.

As far as records that are banded, have 'cuts' separated by bands, I have an early Victor acoustical disc, which demonstates instruments of the orchestra. IIRC, it has multiple bands separating each instrument before it's announced. Also an acoustical Victor disc of little bits of childrens songs sung by a female singer, also banded. I think those are the earliest I know of.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Wolfe wrote:To be pedantic, it's all technically one cut as they cannot pick up the recording head and drop back down mid-side. :) They still can't do that today.

As far as records that are banded, have 'cuts' separated by bands, I have an early Victor acoustical disc, which demonstates instruments of the orchestra. IIRC, it has multiple bands separating each instrument before it's announced. Also an acoustical Victor disc of little bits of childrens songs sung by a female singer, also banded. I think those are the earliest I know of.
Yes you are right--they are banded-- not separate cuts.
I also appreciate the tuning bands I've seen on several early classical/operatic European discs. That should have been done more often as it certainly makes establishing the correct playback speeds much easier!

Steven

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Or they could have much sooner established the practice of putting the timed length of the selection, e.g. 3:27, on the labels.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Wolfe wrote:Or they could have much sooner established the practice of putting the timed length of the selection, e.g. 3:27, on the labels.
True that. Or even easier, listed the key in which it was recorded, like Melba's London G&T's.

Steven

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Viva-voce wrote:
Wolfe wrote:Or they could have much sooner established the practice of putting the timed length of the selection, e.g. 3:27, on the labels.
True that. Or even easier, listed the key in which it was recorded, like Melba's London G&T's.

Steven
:D :D :D :D

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

It certainly would have prevented the century-old debate regarding the proper playback speed of Patti's records--and those of De Lucia as well!

Steven

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

JAR wrote:I have a Victor #20432 78. 1927.

2 cuts each side, 20432A 1. Dance of Greeting. 2. Konderpolka.
20432B 1.I see You. 2. Carrousel.

When did they start putting 2 cuts on each side?

JAR
Sounds very much like an educational record- are they indicated as folk dances?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Viva-voce wrote:It certainly would have prevented the century-old debate regarding the proper playback speed of Patti's records--and those of De Lucia as well!

Steven
There are some acoustic records that have a tone played at the end by what sounds like a violin, to allow proper tuning for the trained ears. I have a couple of them, both German labels.