Help Needed on VE-XVIII Electric Cord set-up.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Re: Help Needed on VE-XVIII Electric Cord set-up.

Post by victor 15-1 »

Curt A wrote:
thatonejohn wrote:The one I picked up recently has 7 feet of cord once it exits the cabinet. I haven't had much of an issue of removing the back and finding a safe place to set it within 7 feet. Otherwise it appears I could unscrew the wires from the plug. I've attached a picture of the plug that was on mine when I picked it up, although I am unsure if it's the original one, cord is original at least.
That is a perfect example of wiring that looks hazardous, frayed insulation, etc. The plug is missing its insulating disc, leaving bare wires exposed... If you have grandchildren or children around your house, this is an unsafe situation... plug that in and accidentally touch the screws to see what happens... If you think I am being too cautious, invite someone from your fire department to come by and inspect this or send a picture of this wiring to your insurance company...
If it is in good condition inside the cabinet just leave it alone but by all means splice a new piece where it exits the back.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Re: Help Needed on VE-XVIII Electric Cord set-up.

Post by Victrolacollector »

Old frayed cords scare me, I have always had the cords replaced on my old radios or electric phonographs. These wires can pose a shock hazard and have shorts which can be a fire hazard. These cords are over 80-100 years old. Once the cord has been replaced and any other electrical capacitors and resistors etc. have been replaced these old units run great! They will almost start dancing :lol:

I have this on ebay if it helps.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2932057605

It is about 6 feet of cord with a nice reproduction plug like an original. I am selling this since I had a radio restored and don’t need the extra.