Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Featured Phonograph № 140 - Victor II Hump Back

Post by Django »

Make: Victor Talking Machine Co.
Model: II, (Victor the Second)
Serial #: 51028
Year(s) Made: 1902-1920 (this version from 1904-1909)
Original Cost: $30.00-$37.50
Case/Cabinet Size: 12" x 12"
Turntabe: 10"
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Exhibition
Motor: single spring
Horn Dimensions: 21.25" x 16" deep to elbow
Reproduction Parts: None
Current Value: open for discussion
Interesting Facts: The cabinet on these machines have a unique "hump" on the back to accommodate the motor.

This machine came to me from a Las Vegas pawn shop. The horn, an aftermarket Hawthorne and Sheble Nickel plate, came from California. The flowers and gold trim are original and definitely not perfect, but this is still one of my favorite machine and horn combinations. The "Hump Back" Victor II, (Improved Victor II), is nice and compact and plays two, 10" records through on a winding. To me, the Nickel plated horn is much nicer than the horns that Victor supplied. The machine is original and presents and plays well.

This Victor II has nice corner pillars, nicely pinstriped back bracket, bullet brake, nice oak cabinet, Nickel plated hardware, cool name plate on the front and it plays well. They are fairly common, but still iconic and one of my favorite players. It also didn't break the bank.
Attachments
1.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
Last edited by Django on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Featured Phonograph № 140 - Victor II Hump Back

Post by alang »

Nice machine in great condition. I love the horn.

Thanks
Andreas

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Really nice machine, I really like the nickel horn!

The Hump-Back II's are super machines. Not too big, not too small, but just right!
They are also strong players, and the off-set is not as bad as on the Victor I.

Congratulations, Bob S.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Thank you Andreas and Bob. I am always surprised that there are so few featured phonographs. It is easy and provides a nice place to browse machines in their current habitat. Maybe people don’t realize that there is a featured phonographs section in the archives.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Ditto, what the others have said, this is a wonderful machine especially because of the splendid horn.

And I agree with you, more of us should share our treasures in this sub-forum. I really enjoy looking through the features.

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

That is a REALLY nice combo. That horn is perfectly matched to the machine and both are shown off just right. Well done!

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

The victor II is really outstanding. The way it was photographed is great. Thanks for adding it to the site.

I came to this hobby late in life and I frequently return to this web site in order to learn more about the wide variety machines that are in members collections. In order to keep the hobby alive, there has to be new people coming in and this web site is essential for that to happen. One of the most important ways to educate people who are interested in learning more is the Featured Phonograph page. I'm bewildered that there are so few machines in the Featured Phonograph page. What is preventing more people with great machines from adding theirs to the page? I have tried to imagine why, but I'm really at a loss to understand. It shouldn't be so hard to see the benefit for the phonograph collecting hobby. If you have a machine that you know is special, I urge you to add it to the Featured Phonograph page. Can't figure out how to upload pictures? Ask for directions. I would be glad to help if asked.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi all, I have two Victors, but could some one tell me why this Victor is called the humpback?
Allen

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

A Ford 1 wrote:Hi all, I have two Victors, but could some one tell me why this Victor is called the humpback?
Allen
The area where the back bracket is mounted protrudes. The inside of the cabinet has a cavity in that area to allow for the motor. The humpback Victor II also has corner pillars, (see images of the back side of the cabinet). It was a feature that was unique to this model. A design flaw with a nice solution.

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.
Allen