GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Featured Phonograph № 143 - Victrola XI Tabletop

Post by GregVTLA »

Make: Victor Talking Machine Co.
Model: Victrola XI (VV-XI)
Serial #: 1871
Year(s) Made: Entire run (1910-1921); tabletop only (1910-1912)
Original Cost: $100.00
Case/Cabinet Size: 15 ½ inches high, 17 ½ inches wide, 22 inches deep (around 60 lbs)
Turntable: 12 inch (non-yielding early variety)
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Exhibition
Motor: Two Spring
Horn Dimensions: 14 ½ inches wide, 5 inches tall
Reproduction Parts: None
Current Value: I'm unsure, these are worth around $550-600 in mahogany. I would guess around $700
Interesting Facts: This was purchased after sale to another forum member was cancelled due to concerns over shipping (that was a good idea too, this is around 60 lbs). He graciously gave me the phone number of the man who owned it, and my dad picked it up since it was only a short distance from his workplace.

It was painted in black and red, and since then I have removed a large amount of the paint. The motor required a spring replacement since the original was broken in the can. This phonograph still has a bit of work to be done but I am still excited about it in its current state.

I'm unsure how to identify the finish, I've had someone tell me it was Flemish Oak, but I also found a picture online of a similar machine in Weathered Oak that looked very similar to mine.

One more interesting thing is the inspection certificate I found inside the cabinet. I have been unable to find another image online. It appears to say November 8th 1910.

The photos are in chronological order (for whatever reason). The ones on the bottom are the machine in its current state.

This machine was also discussed to a small degree in this topic: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 22#p208122
Attachments
IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1101.JPG
IMG_2215.JPG
IMG_2211.JPG
IMG_2210.JPG
IMG_2213.JPG
Last edited by GregVTLA on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Django
Victor IV

Re: Featured Phonograph № 143 - Victrola XI Tabletop

Post by Django »

That is quite a transition. I love quarter sawn Oak. Thanks for sharing and please add pictures after completion. Nice job.

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Thanks! I’ll be sure to add photos when it’s complete. I don’t want to tackle a machine like that as my first major refinishing. Eventually though I’ll get it completely done!

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

Looking great! I was hoping to see more pics of this machine sometime. Nice progress!

Matt

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

It's great that you were able to remove the paint without destroying the (fumed?) oak finish. Thanks for adding it to the feature phonograph page.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Thanks for the compliments! I was definitely happy that the paint came off without destroying the finish. I have to admit it's not an excellent finish anymore, but it could be much worse.

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

The red striping you didnt remove looks very good on the dark oak.

-bill

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

wjw wrote:The red striping you didnt remove looks very good on the dark oak.

-bill
I like it too. It really does look good in the meantime. Thanks for the compliment!