Lori Sprechmaschinenfabrik AG, Berlin Neukölln

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
vansteem78
Victor II

Lori Sprechmaschinenfabrik AG, Berlin Neukölln

Post by vansteem78 »

For years I thought my big table top was English till I met a German online who informed me it was German. Anyone else have one, seen one or know anything about them? Works nice but the semi-automatic brake is a pain to use. So usually I don't. The seller told me when I bought it that it was English and that's the reason I thought that. Neil
Attachments
Lori german 006.jpg
Lori german 006.jpg (121.57 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
Lori german 004.jpg
Lori german 004.jpg (128.13 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
Lori german 003.jpg
Lori german 003.jpg (117 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
Lori german 002.jpg
Lori german 002.jpg (117.36 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
Lori german 001.jpg
Lori german 001.jpg (116.9 KiB) Viewed 2198 times

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Lori Sprechmaschinenfabrik AG, Berlin Neukölln

Post by poodling around »

vansteem78 wrote:For years I thought my big table top was English till I met a German online who informed me it was German. Anyone else have one, seen one or know anything about them? Works nice but the semi-automatic brake is a pain to use. So usually I don't. The seller told me when I bought it that it was English and that's the reason I thought that. Neil
Is it possible to have a closer, clearer photo of the bird logo please I wonder ?

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

poodling around wrote:
vansteem78 wrote:For years I thought my big table top was English till I met a German online who informed me it was German. Anyone else have one, seen one or know anything about them? Works nice but the semi-automatic brake is a pain to use. So usually I don't. The seller told me when I bought it that it was English and that's the reason I thought that. Neil
Is it possible to have a closer, clearer photo of the bird logo please I wonder ?

Here are a few copies of it. Neil
Attachments
DSCN0019.jpg
DSCN0018.jpg
DSCN0017.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

vansteem78 wrote:
poodling around wrote:

Here are a few copies of it. Neil
Thank you Neil.

Have you seen this internet page - the comments towards the bottom of the page seem quite informative maybe. It can be translated into English when accessed through Google.

Link below - is this the kind of information you are looking for I wonder ?

https://grammophon-platten.de/e107_plug ... .php?32806
Attachments
lori.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Here is a rough translation of the LORI ad...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 9.47.07 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Way to go Curt. Nice Translation. Tom

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Lori Sprechmaschinen (Berlin) were distributed in the twenties mainly through the Wertheim department store chain. In the summer of 1923, Lori Sprechmaschinen GmbH was converted into a stock corporation.

The acronym 'GmbH', which is written after the name of a German company, designates it as a private entity. The letters stand for Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung which, translated literally, means a 'company with limited liability'.

In April 1925 the transformation into a GmbH took place again. This company filed for bankruptcy in the summer of 1926 and soon after the company was discharged from the commercial register.

Interesting side note: FRANKFURT - MARCH 30, 2007

Settling the last big property restitution case from the Nazi era, Germany's largest retailer agreed Friday to pay the heirs of a once-Jewish-owned department store nearly $120 million for the confiscation of what is now prime real estate in Berlin.

The company, KarstadtQuelle, will pay €88 million, or $118 million, to the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, a group in New York that filed suit on behalf of the Wertheim family, which founded the elegant Berlin emporium that still bears its name.

The settlement is a vindication for the far-flung Wertheim heirs, not least Barbara Principe, the 74-year-old daughter of Gunther Wertheim, who fled Berlin with his family in 1939. Her father settled in southern New Jersey, tending a chicken farm not far from where Principe still lives.

Like other German-Jewish merchants, the Wertheims lost their property in the late 1930s under Nazi policies that expropriated Jewish-owned businesses and put them in "Aryan" hands. In 1951, when Jews had begun reclaiming property, an adviser to the Wertheims, Arthur Lindgens, persuaded them to sell him the rights to their stores and real estate for a pittance.

He then merged Wertheim with another former Jewish-owned chain, Hertie. That company was taken over by KarstadtQuelle, which still owns the Wertheim department store on the Kurfürstendamm, the prime shopping promenade in West Berlin.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

tomb wrote:Way to go Curt. Nice Translation. Tom
Thanks, Tom...

My Wife

poodling around
Victor V

Curt A wrote:Lori Sprechmaschinen (Berlin) were distributed in the twenties mainly through the Wertheim department store chain. In the summer of 1923, Lori Sprechmaschinen GmbH was converted into a stock corporation.

The acronym 'GmbH', which is written after the name of a German company, designates it as a private entity. The letters stand for Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung which, translated literally, means a 'company with limited liability'.

In April 1925 the transformation into a GmbH took place again. This company filed for bankruptcy in the summer of 1926 and soon after the company was discharged from the commercial register.

Interesting side note: FRANKFURT - MARCH 30, 2007

Settling the last big property restitution case from the Nazi era, Germany's largest retailer agreed Friday to pay the heirs of a once-Jewish-owned department store nearly $120 million for the confiscation of what is now prime real estate in Berlin.

The company, KarstadtQuelle, will pay €88 million, or $118 million, to the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, a group in New York that filed suit on behalf of the Wertheim family, which founded the elegant Berlin emporium that still bears its name.

The settlement is a vindication for the far-flung Wertheim heirs, not least Barbara Principe, the 74-year-old daughter of Gunther Wertheim, who fled Berlin with his family in 1939. Her father settled in southern New Jersey, tending a chicken farm not far from where Principe still lives.

Like other German-Jewish merchants, the Wertheims lost their property in the late 1930s under Nazi policies that expropriated Jewish-owned businesses and put them in "Aryan" hands. In 1951, when Jews had begun reclaiming property, an adviser to the Wertheims, Arthur Lindgens, persuaded them to sell him the rights to their stores and real estate for a pittance.

He then merged Wertheim with another former Jewish-owned chain, Hertie. That company was taken over by KarstadtQuelle, which still owns the Wertheim department store on the Kurfürstendamm, the prime shopping promenade in West Berlin.

Very interesting translation 'above' and information.

I noticed that the logo with the parrot subtly altered for some reason or another a number of times.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Curt, yes a big thanks for all the translations and information. Makes the machine even more interesting.