Please id this HMV portable Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Re: Please id this HMV portable Gramophone

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote:
poodling around wrote:Can someone give an estimate as to how much these are worth please I wonder ?
Valuation is all about comparison, and I don't have any details of other PAAO's sold at auction. This one is in a general sale, and unless other collectors have noticed it I would expect it to sell for well under £100. It should clean up nicely, but don't expect great sound.

If you live near the saleroom, why not go along during viewing hours to examine and try the machine. It comes with a quantity of records, but remember to take a few needles with you. The auction staff should not mind you test playing a record, provided that you ask them first. My local auctioneers are used to this, as my reputation is well known ;) .

Very good advice and appreciated.

Thank you epigramophone.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

As far as I can see from the pictures there doesn't appear to be a winding handle with the machine and it isn't mentioned in the description , so take a winder with you as it may have broken springs , from memory the thread size will be a 5 / 16" UNC , also shouldn't it have an Exhibition soundbox ?

poodling around
Victor V

soundgen wrote:As far as I can see from the pictures there doesn't appear to be a winding handle with the machine and it isn't mentioned in the description , so take a winder with you as it may have broken springs , from memory the thread size will be a 5 / 16" UNC , also shouldn't it have an Exhibition soundbox ?

Very good advice as always soundgen.

Thank you.

poodling around
Victor V

Oh, I have been researching this on the internet a little and now think that this could be an HMV PBO from 1922 and not an HMV PAAO from 1920 ?

The main reason for this thought is that the PAAO has a lock and the PBO does not.

Also, the lid release catches are different for each model ?

Am I correct please I wonder ?

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

This is a PAO because the tonearm is not centered and the motorboard does not collapse.The variants you are talking about are early Variants of this model (PAO and PAAO). To my knowledge we don't know which one is which. It is possible to play the PA(A)O with the lid closed.

The later portable B was available in oak ( P(ortable) B O(ak) ) PBO, in cloth (P(ortable) B C(loth) PBC and in its final form the 105 which was the same as the PBC but featured a black tonearm. The motorboard was collapsable for transport, so no closed lid playing.

poodling around
Victor V

Teak wrote:This is a PAO because the tonearm is not centered and the motorboard does not collapse.The variants you are talking about are early Variants of this model (PAO and PAAO). To my knowledge we don't know which one is which. It is possible to play the PA(A)O with the lid closed.

The later portable B was available in oak ( P(ortable) B O(ak) ) PBO, in cloth (P(ortable) B C(loth) PBC and in its final form the 105 which was the same as the PBC but featured a black tonearm. The motorboard was collapsable for transport, so no closed lid playing.

Very good.

I understand about the PBO now - shouldn't have doubted you !

So this could be the earlier model when considering the PAO and PAAO - we just don't know, you say.

Thank you so much for the information and clarification.

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

The variation between the PAAO and PAO is concerning the lock and lock buttons, and the motor (different frame alloy). Some say, the lockless version is the earlier PAO but I don't think there was ever any final say on that matter. I don't know of any period (ad)material solving that conundrum.

poodling around
Victor V

Teak wrote:The variation between the PAAO and PAO is concerning the lock and lock buttons, and the motor (different frame alloy). Some say, the lockless version is the earlier PAO but I don't think there was ever any final say on that matter. I don't know of any period (ad)material solving that conundrum.

Very clear.

Thank you.

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Hers's a comparison between my PAO and PBC - as you can see, the PAO has the tone arm on the right while the PBC has a central one. You can also see how much deeper the PAO cabinet is as the motor board does not pivot down, unlike the PBC, and you can play it with the lid down. (apologies for the dust !!)
Attachments
IMG_8423.JPG
IMG_8419.JPG

poodling around
Victor V

Gramtastic wrote:Hers's a comparison between my PAO and PBC - as you can see, the PAO has the tone arm on the right while the PBC has a central one. You can also see how much deeper the PAO cabinet is as the motor board does not pivot down, unlike the PBC, and you can play it with the lid down. (apologies for the dust !!)
Aha, I see.

The condition of the wood seems to be fantastic - it almost looks like mahogany to my untrained eyes.