AUCTION March 16 & 17 - Don't miss it!

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
DonleyAuctions
Victor O

AUCTION March 16 & 17 - Don't miss it!

Post by DonleyAuctions »

Phonographs, horns, parts, books, literature up for auction March 16 & 17 in Union, Illinois.

Don't miss the opportunity to own of these great machines from this huge collection.

Go to DonleyAuctions.com and click on the red button to view entire catalog.

Check out some of the highlights below....
Attachments
Victor Victrola XVI Vernis Martin Phonograph
Victor Victrola XVI Vernis Martin Phonograph
Victor VI Phonograph w/Wood Horn
Victor VI Phonograph w/Wood Horn
Victor Eldridge R Johnson Trademark B Phonograph
Victor Eldridge R Johnson Trademark B Phonograph
Berliner Type JS Gramophone of 1899
Berliner Type JS Gramophone of 1899
Edison Opera Cylinder Phonograph
Edison Opera Cylinder Phonograph
Columbia Coin Operated Cylinder Phonograph
Columbia Coin Operated Cylinder Phonograph
Columbia Graphophone Grand GG Cylinder Phonograph
Columbia Graphophone Grand GG Cylinder Phonograph
Duplex Phonograph Co. Kalamazoo Michigan
Duplex Phonograph Co. Kalamazoo Michigan
Last edited by DonleyAuctions on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

long_island_phono
Victor II

Re: AUCTION March 16 & 17 - Don't miss it!

Post by long_island_phono »

Such a shame that horns and reproducers were separated from machines. It seems like historical integrity is being sacrificed.

The electric type N should be sold with it’s original gutta percha set and 15” flared cone horn, but those are being sold separately. How do I know they were together? I saw this stuff in person while it was still on site.
Attachments
68B3A17D-5161-4EB3-A920-3F44AA5B0CF5.jpeg
Last edited by long_island_phono on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonleyAuctions
Victor O

Post by DonleyAuctions »

Thank you for your comments. However, the horn and reproducer is the set that came with the machine. Do we know if this was original to the machine? No. No one will ever know for sure. Whoever wants to keep the parts with the machine, can buy them separately at the auction. Lot #43 is the machine, Lot #46 is the Gutta Percha set. The horn will be added this week.

Thank you again and good luck bidding!

long_island_phono
Victor II

DonleyAuctions wrote: However, the horn and reproducer is the set that came with the machine.... The horn will be added this week.
So...you included the #2 reproducer yet not the horn?
DonleyAuctions wrote: Whoever wants to keep the parts with the machine, can buy them separately at the auction.
I distinctly recall asking Ken if that N had a gutta percha set, to which he replied by showing me the set which was hidden a few feet away. As you should well know, many things in that house are complete, yet moved around. The gutta percha set, horn, and N are easily indentifiably as being related.

With your logic you ought to have separated the cabinet from the mech, and even separated the topworks from motor. After all someone could buy each individual part to make a complete electric N! Maybe someone would want just the electric motor! I’m kidding of course. Those things aren’t logical but separating arguably original reproducers and horns only makes sense if your only goal is making a buck, not preservation. It’s apparent what is going on, and fluffy language cannot hide it. I was hoping there would be a correction made but oh well.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Agreeing with you.

What if someone on the floor wins the machine but an online buyer is going for the horn? Then the floor buyer is either going to have to pay through the nose for the machine, or have to hunt for some unobtanium part which had been with his phonograph for 110 years until recently, or end up not enjoying his phonograph as much because he couldn't get the whole thing original...

I'm sorry--Donley Auctions has always been pretty neat & I respect what you do for the hobby, but you guys have stepped in it rather badly with this one.

In all my collection only one horn machine still has its original horn--a clapped-out BN Graphophone. I'm fully restoring it. It's getting the VIP treatment because that horn has been with it since 1909. I could easily swap, upgrade to a wood horn, or whatever...but while it would be "era appropriate" it wouldn't be right for THAT machine.

Pretty bad when the No. 1 auction company starts treating history like this...we treat phonographs as collectibles but it may be time to re-consider them as artifacts.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Agree as well- it's too bad to see Donley become just another eBay dismantler but it's their business...
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Their business, and the future not only of our hobby but of those to come.

Now whose business is it?

long_island_phono
Victor II

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Their business, and the future not only of our hobby but of those to come.

Now whose business is it?
Exactly. A collector, one hopes, is someone who is preserving something for future study. That is why I tout myself, with justification, as a preservationist. Those selling to collectors, especially long time sellers in a particular market, should have a sensitivity when it comes to the goods they are selling, one would expect?

It’s easy to get philosophical when you talk about business. Capitaism is great when there is a moral component, the problem is there usually isn’t and if there is, then there is trouble agreeing which morals to follow. Sometimes the answer is pretty clear and I think in this case it is.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I wasn't being flip about it when I said "it's their business"... I was just stating fact.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

DonleyAuctions
Victor O

Post by DonleyAuctions »

So everyone can calm down, let's get the facts straight. First off, when a client consigns his collection to me they generally want the most money that they can get for it. They will ask me for recommendations but their word is final, it is their collection, not mine. And I also respect the history of a machine as much as any other collector. As you know, we've been in the business almost 50 years. The Columbia N electric was consigned with the horn and with the 2 gutta percha repro/rec set in the original wood box. During the process of lotting the machine it was discussed as to how to sell it. Two different top Columbia collectors were asked the question, "If it was yours, what would you do?" Without hesitation they both replied that, "they would separate them". But it is always left up to the client to make the decision. Mr. Stokes said to separate them. And it was only after getting Mr. Stokes permission today, because of the forum questions as to why it was done, that I can tell you his reasoning. Mr. Stokes said that the 3 pieces did NOT come together. He says that the machine itself was acquired from a Texas radio collector years ago, and the horn and gutta percha set were also acquired separately and HE put them together. Any other information about this machine is incorrect.

We do appreciate everyone's concern and hope that this clears up any controversy regarding this machine.

We look forward to having a great auction for Mr. Stokes this weekend and wish you all success with your bids.