Gold painted VV-XVI Listed on eBay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Gold painted VV-XVI Listed on eBay

Post by Benjamin_L »

A gold-painted Vernis Martin VV-XVI was just listed on eBay from Illinois, and talk about a beauty.

Thought it was worth sharing.

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victrola-Phono ... Swb6Bcohix)
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Last edited by Benjamin_L on Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henry
Victor V

Re: Gold painted VV-XVI Listed on eBay

Post by Henry »

Too bad owner "can't figure out how it works." Gee, even I could do that! ;)

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Henry wrote:Too bad owner "can't figure out how it works." Gee, even I could do that! ;)
I was thinking the same thing. One would think that if they're capable of copying the textual information in their description, they could've also discovered instructions for operation.

- Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

With a rare and important machine like this, I doubt any buyer would be too concerned about the motor is working or not. This is a Vernis Martin XVI, incidentally. I have one that I got last year as some of you may recall that I still haven't done anything with except rebuild the reproducer and give the motor a good once over, so it at least can get played.

Sean

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

OrthoSean wrote:With a rare and important machine like this, I doubt any buyer would be too concerned about the motor is working or not.
Sean
Pardon me. OP said nothing about the motor. For all we know, he may think it's a television.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Henry wrote:
OrthoSean wrote:With a rare and important machine like this, I doubt any buyer would be too concerned about the motor is working or not.
Sean
Pardon me. OP said nothing about the motor. For all we know, he may think it's a television.
Regardless, a machine like this isn't going to sell low just because the seller can't figure out how it works. How many machines have we seen posted on ebay or even youtube while someone fumbles trying to play it? Incidentally this machine jumped from $600 to $1000 in a matter of minutes, so that should give you an idea of where this will go.

No offense intended, but I think semantics may have caused you to miss my "point" ;)

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

"Can't figure out how it works" - that usually goes along with "As Is" to indicate that the seller wants to avoid any issues of possible damage in the future. If you buy this & find that the motor is broken, he can write back & say he never claimed it did.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

estott wrote:"Can't figure out how it works" - that usually goes along with "As Is" to indicate that the seller wants to avoid any issues of possible damage in the future. If you buy this & find that the motor is broken, he can write back & say he never claimed it did.
And again, I repeat, whoever buys this rare machine isn't going to be upset if the motor isn't running. It's obvious that it's all there and complete. It's an XVI and any motor issue can be easily remedied.

Sean

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

So item description lifted from http://www.victor-victrola.com/painted.htm
But what a great item , was each Victrola painted differently ?
Attachments
avernis.jpg

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I will be bidding, on the merits of the included several spare needles.

Naw, April Fool.

I personally don't like the garish ones like this, although the underhood gold (and sometimes orange) is handsome at times. But for those who might be wondering about the state of the motor, seeing the crank upright rather than hanging limply might indicate the springs are intact.

And as we all by now know, if a spring is busted only Sean will want the useless thing.