Is this authentic? Can someone please help!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
amd250
Victor Jr

Is this authentic? Can someone please help!

Post by amd250 »

Hello, my wife really wants something like this, a person is selling it for $350 with 60 albums. Can anyone please help and let me know if they think it is
all real and is it worth it? There is no plate anywhere with a serial number. The owner checked all over. We are going Sunday to look at it.
IMG_6988.jpg
IMG_6988.jpg
IMG_6980.PNG
Thank You So much!

Tony
Attachments
IMG_6982.jpg
IMG_6982.jpg (26.56 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
IMG_6987.jpg
IMG_6984.jpg
IMG_6981.jpg
IMG_6981.jpg (27.91 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
IMG_6983.jpg
IMG_6985.jpg

Skihawx
Victor III

Re: Is this authentic? Can someone please help!

Post by Skihawx »

It is a modern creation using some old junk parts.
Stay away from it!!

dennis
Victor I

Post by dennis »

It is what collectors call a Crapophone - or being charitable, a Frankenphone. It appears to be put together better than many such creations I've seen, but certainly not worth $350 - maybe $100 to 150, but I'm certainly not recommending it. Save your money 'til something better comes along.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Good advice above. That appears to have a motor from a Victor Victrola, a reproducer from an earlier Victor, a horn that was made in India with a new Victor decal applied to it, and a Columbia Grafophone decal applied to some panel that is oak, while the cabinet appears to be mahogany! Someone purposely created a Frankenstein piece. Value about $100.

amd250
Victor Jr

Post by amd250 »

Does anyone know where I can get a good one? Just keep looking I guess?

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

Do NOT buy this agglomeration of mismatched parts (well, maybe $25 for the parts... )

I found my Victor IV, in almost-new condition, by pouring over Craig's List for about 6 months. They do turn up - good luck to you!

amd250
Victor Jr

Post by amd250 »

Thank you so much for your input, I am going to stay on these boards and try to learn some stuff so I can get something good for my wife. You all save me a lot of money .

rvwenger
Victor I

Post by rvwenger »

amd250 wrote:Thank you so much for your input, I am going to stay on these boards and try to learn some stuff so I can get something good for my wife. You all save me a lot of money .
If you want restored and guaranteed, go to www.victor-victrola.com This is Paul Edie's renowned site. He sell restored Victors, and Victrolas. His items are some of the best available.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

We had the "Sounds of Nostalgia" phonograph/radio sale in Portland, OR recently. One of the machines I sold was a Standard Type A disc machine. It had the original blue horn and all parts were 100% correct. The motor was serviced and the reproducer was rebuilt. There are good values out there. It sold for $350.

Jerry Blais

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Keep looking for something else. Previous posts have shared good advice. If possible, go to a phonograph show (Union in June is a great one). I bought my authentic Vic III at a show. It was nice to be able to walk around, look at the various phonographs for sale, and then find one that fit the budget.