The Current Wars Movie

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dave D
Victor IV

The Current Wars Movie

Post by Dave D »

I am pretty excited to read this morning that the film is going finally be released this coming October. No doubt it is a hatchet job against Edison, but it will be interesting to see it anyway.
Dave D

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: The Current Wars Movie

Post by estott »

Dave D wrote:I am pretty excited to read this morning that the film is going finally be released this coming October. No doubt it is a hatchet job against Edison, but it will be interesting to see it anyway.
Dave D
Much as I respect and sometimes love Edison, that episode in his career was not one to put him in a favorable light. Self-interest and personal vendettas were prime motivators. To be fair, none of the participants come off as shining knights. The affair was only slightly elevated above a bare knuckle brawl.

For other Scientists Behaving Badly check out the "Bone Wars" - leading Paleontologists would race to fossil fields, grab the best specimens, then have any remaining ones destroyed before their rivals could get there. It was not enough to have the BEST, you had to have the ONLY.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Reminds me of a funny story....

There was a Scientist that worked for the Audabon Society going around the world collecting different species of birds in the late 1890's to 1910's... When he could no longer find any new species of birds, he just made up his own. It took something like 90 years before his fraud was discovered and another 20 years to weed out the "Real birds" that existed from the "Fakes" that he created..

The same thing happened in Egyptology... There were quite a bunch of Egptolgists that could no longer find any massive finds, so they just "faked" certain Cartouches and Papyrus's...

Usually, If there's fame or a big bucks to be made...."Fakers" and "Fraudsters" will always surface...

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

NEFaurora wrote:There was a Scientist that worked for the Audabon Society going around the world collecting different species of birds in the late 1890's to 1910's... When he could no longer find any new species of birds, he just made up his own. It took something like 90 years before his fraud was discovered and another 20 years to weed out the "Real birds" that existed from the "Fakes" that he created..
Tony K.
It's "Audubon," not "Audabon." Do you have a source for this anecdote, or is it another urban myth?

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I actually saw a story about that on one of the discovery type channels. Since it was on TV it must be true, right ;) It sure makes for a good story though...

andreas

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Henry wrote:
NEFaurora wrote:There was a Scientist that worked for the Audabon Society going around the world collecting different species of birds in the late 1890's to 1910's... When he could no longer find any new species of birds, he just made up his own. It took something like 90 years before his fraud was discovered and another 20 years to weed out the "Real birds" that existed from the "Fakes" that he created..
Tony K.
It's "Audubon," not "Audabon." Do you have a source for this anecdote, or is it another urban myth?

Henry,

He also shouldn't have capitalized "Scientist", you missed that one. Geez....

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

JerryVan wrote:
He also shouldn't have capitalized "Scientist", you missed that one. Geez....
The comma goes inside the quotation marks, not after. You missed that one, but Henry got it right. Doh! :lol:
Best regards ... AZ*

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Sorry, I usually write without Spell Check.....GEEZ!!!..

and it's all true....no urban "myths"....

:O)

Tony K.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

May I make a suggestion? Let's return to the original topic of this thread. Perhaps someone could fill me in. Is there a movie about to be released on the life of Edison?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

jboger wrote:May I make a suggestion? Let's return to the original topic of this thread. Perhaps someone could fill me in. Is there a movie about to be released on the life of Edison?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Current_War