Electric HMV 192

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Nigel
Victor Jr

Electric HMV 192

Post by Nigel »

Hello! I have never seen an Electric HMV 192 before. Yet here seems to be one.

I tried looking on this website for information, and google, but there seems almost none.

Can anybody provide some information about this? How does it sound? What would be the price range on this? Is it worth getting If I can find one for the right price?

I'm still looking for an fine Machine besides My HMV 101.

Any information is greatly appriciated!

Thanks!
Attachments
234432243.jpg
234432243.jpg (22.79 KiB) Viewed 1416 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Electric HMV 192

Post by epigramophone »

Only a tiny minority of 192's had the electric motor, a very expensive option at £25 extra, so this machine is a rare survivor.

The 192 used the so called "Saxophone" horn, which HMV introduced in 1925 to meet the demands of the new electrical recordings. It has been said that HMV were reluctant to pay for the rights to Victor's "Orthophonic" horn, but eventually they fell into line with their own "Re-Entrant" version.

The general view seems to be that the "Saxophone" horn is no match for the "Re-Entrant", and prices tend to reflect this.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

The HMV 192 is an excellent performer, and does a much better job on electrical recordings than the earlier traditional pre-1925 Victrolas and HMV uprights with their Exhibition or #2 soundboxes. In fact, it is amazing that a machine equipped with a mica diaphragm soundbox sounds as good as it does. It does not have the frequency range of an Orthophonic or Re-entrant machine, so it is outperformed by the HMV 163 and its larger siblings. The HMV 192 and the other sax machines also do a stellar job on acoustic recordings, and allow you to hear things on acoustic records that you hadn't heard before if you had only played them on pre-1925 machines.

I am very fond of the HMV sax machines, and I own several. I play them often. Here is a photo showing the saxophone horn on my HMV 192.
Attachments
Captured 2006-08-002.jpg
Captured 2006-08-002.jpg (90.09 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Best regards ... AZ*

Nigel
Victor Jr

Post by Nigel »

Thanks for the replies! So it would definitely be worth it to purchase one of the chance arrives? I wonder what the prices would be of these machines, especially the electric one.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

200 to 300