Cylinder cabinet mystery

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
chrisg
Victor III

Cylinder cabinet mystery

Post by chrisg »

Picked up this cabinet at hospice thrift store. It is obviously a cylinder cabinet. My question is what are the metal pins in the sides. I assume they are stops for the shelves but they hit nothing. I have 5 cylinder cabinets, but all are the drawer type.
Attachments
IMG_20190603_15165.jpg
IMG_20190603_25980.jpg
IMG_20190603_33550.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Cylinder cabinet mystery

Post by phonogfp »

The pins catch little hooks that are attached to the rear of each shelf, and allow said shelf to be tilted downward for easier viewing of the record titles. You don't need the hooks to use the cabinet - - just be careful you don't pull out a shelf loaded with cylinders!

The cabinet seems to be missing 3 shelves. You can find birch plywood in the appropriate thickness at any big-box "hardware" store.

Good luck!

George P.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

I knew I had a cabinet like that around here some place. Here's what the shelf hook looks like:
CabHook.jpg
Chuck

chrisg
Victor III

Post by chrisg »

Thank you gentlemen, Chuck I was i thinking flat metal with hook cut into it. The photo is a great help

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Gosh, I thought the hook hung down from the shelf above the pin. Yes - thanks for posting that, Chuck! :)

George P.

Hit of the Week
Victor I

Post by Hit of the Week »

That will make you a nice cabinet! My oak Opera (Concert) came with the same cabinet when it was bought new by the 1st. owner. I'm the 2nd. owner, but she set in the 1st. owners basement in Maine until I bought it......the horn and cyl. cabinet legs & some of the shelves had de-laminated. I glued the cabinet & Don Gfell worked his "magic" on the horn!

Good Luck!
Iowa Dale

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Here is how the shelf hangs down when pulled out.
shelf.jpg
The one drawback to this style cabinet is you have to open the door completely so the drawers will
clear the hinge edge of the door otherwise you can't pull out the drawer. You need twice the width
of the cabinet in floor space.

Chuck