Jasper Sanfilippo Open House

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tictalk
Victor II

Jasper Sanfilippo Open House

Post by tictalk »

Does anyone know if Jasper is having an open house the weekend of the Union Phono Show this year? If so what time does it begin.

rbuck
Victor Jr

Re: Jasper Sanfilippo Open House

Post by rbuck »

https://www.antiquephono.org/events/an- ... t-jaspers/.

NOTE: different day, different sponsor (APS)

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

rbuck wrote:https://www.antiquephono.org/events/an- ... t-jaspers/.

NOTE: different day, different sponsor (APS)
Thankyou for the information

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Words can not explain the experience of seeing Jasper's collection. I would HIGHLY recommend that everyone should attend. APS members get in free this year. And, I believe APS will be at the door if you want to join.
I look forward to seeing everyone at the Union show. Or as I have called it the "Re-Union" show. Most of us that attend have been going for over 30 years.
Ken Brekke

DonleyAuctions
Victor O

Post by DonleyAuctions »

Friday night from 7pm to 10pm at the Sanfilippo Estate.
Free admission for APS Members
$15 for Non-Members

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Always a pleasure visiting the Sanfilippo collection. While I truly appreciate the fact that APS members were given free admission this year, I was somewhat disappointed over the "program" for the evening. Listening to speeches, watching films and attending meetings is not why I visit the Sanfilippo collection. Also, very disappointed over the Carousel building being closed this year, presumably to allow time for the speeches, etc. Next year, can we please go back to the traditional visit? I would gladly pay my own way to do so. I don't wish for this come across as ungrateful, but to have us in such a place, then restrict our ability to enjoy it was a bit frustrating.

By the way, the new addition with the perfume bottles etc. was really great, and far more interesting than I, (as a phonograph guy), thought it could be! It was a highlight.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

JerryVan wrote:Always a pleasure visiting the Sanfilippo collection. While I truly appreciate the fact that APS members were given free admission this year, I was somewhat disappointed over the "program" for the evening. Listening to speeches, watching films and attending meetings is not why I visit the Sanfilippo collection. Also, very disappointed over the Carousel building being closed this year, presumably to allow time for the speeches, etc. Next year, can we please go back to the traditional visit? I would gladly pay my own way to do so. I don't wish for this come across as ungrateful, but to have us in such a place, then restrict our ability to enjoy it was a bit frustrating.

By the way, the new addition with the perfume bottles etc. was really great, and far more interesting than I, (as a phonograph guy), thought it could be! It was a highlight.
Thanks for your comments, Jerry. I, for one, value honest and constructive criticism more than empty praise. It gives us something to work on for improvement. Here's what we were contending with this year:

In the past, the APS had no role in reserving the Sanfilippo Estate for the annual Saturday evening open house. But APS leadership learned in March that no arrangements had been made for 2019, and consequently a large group had already reserved Saturday night for its own event. Working collaboratively with the Sanfilippo Estate, APS leadership was able to reserve Friday night for the main building. (The Carousel Building was not available due to set up for that large group coming in on Saturday.)

The evening and program had four goals:
(1) To honor Jasper and his family, thanking them for opening the house to phonograph collectors for over 25 years. It is no secret that Jasper and Marian are ailing, and we didn't want to postpone the opportunity to honor them.
(2) To fulfill our commitment to again show the movie short our membership paid over $12,000 to restore. What may not have been clear is that the stars were Victor recording artists, and that these movies were the first integration of their music and images on film.
(3) To encourage non-members attending Union or touring Jasper’s to join the APS, and to demonstrate the continued value of APS membership.
(4) To provide an evening event at Jasper's when there otherwise would have been none.

The APS leadership believes these four goals were successfully met. We received many compliments the following day and in follow-up e-mails, encouraging us to put together an event for next year. We will do our best to reserve both buildings for 2020 and allow as much self-guided opportunity as possible.

Thanks again, and thanks to everyone who is supporting the hobby through the APS.

George Paul,
APS President

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Don't consider this an empty praise but I am pretty sure that the four goals were fully met. I am glad to have been there to honor Jasper and his family. I can understand not wanting to wait to honor them. The introduction to the restored film short was a bit dry and long. I just hope that everyone understands the immense effort it took to raise funds and restore it. Is there an idea of how many non-members attended and joined APS? We look forward to next year's open house. If APS is in charge again, I would vote for Saturday to schedule the open house visit and have the APS meeting at the Union show on Friday.
Ken Brekke

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

George,

Thanks so much for your reply. The 4 goals you mention are worthy ones and I too believe they were met. I just wish that they didn't have to overlap with the Sanfilippo visit. Given the circumstances you mention however, it was apparently unavoidable. I am with Ken, above, in my hopes for next year. Already looking forward to it! Thanks again!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks Ken and Jerry for your comments. I only wish I could have been there this year (first Union show I've missed since 1993).

I've also been informed by another APS Board member that over $13,000 was spent on the film/soundtrack restoration. Thanks again to all those generous donors (many of whom are members of this forum).

George P.