Restoration Of Mills Coin Operated Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
startgroove
Victor III

Re: Restoration Of Mills Coin Operated Phonograph

Post by startgroove »

More progress on the restoration. After last weeks work on cleaning up interior parts, it was time to begin inspecting and testing the electrical systems. Starting with the main drive motor, I performed a close-up inspection and discovered that the housing was riddled with hairline cracks that were barely visible. Those were a sure sign that the housing was compromised. I ran the motor on my bench to test it electrically and found that it performed well. Yet, I could not trust it, and I imagined what a mess there would be should a catastrophic failure of the housing occur during the change cycle!
On Ebay, I found another motor, although it had a broken main shaft, but a good housing. I figured the good parts from each would make one good motor.
After installing the motor, I moved on to rebuilding the magnetic pick-up. That was easy, using the small rubber hose (in black) that is normally is used to rebuild acoustic reproducers, I installed short lengths on the two pivot pins. For the upper end of the armature, I cut up a block of silicone rubber, approximating the dimensions of the original pieces (which had hardened). I cut up several sizes and fitted them each in turn until the correct fit and operation was achieved.
Meanwhile, Lori cleaned up the inside of the cabinet and helped to dress and position the wiring. After, re-installing the pick-up, I was ready to test run the mechanism.
That task will have to wait as other duties need addressing and I’ll be back after that.
Below are the before and after pics of the motor and cabinet interior. Cheers, Russie.
Attachments
IMG_4616.JPG
IMG_4616.JPG (121.66 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Mills interior.jpg
Mills interior.jpg (101.07 KiB) Viewed 471 times

kendphono
Victor II

Post by kendphono »

If anyone is interested, I have one of these for sale at a very good price. The amp has been restored but the rest is original. I have not tried to make it operate. I believe it is completely intact. The machine is in Maryland.

PM if interested.

Ken DAnckaert

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Greetings! How you doing? I remember you, good to hear from you. I remember you as being very helpful and knowledgeable about early changers. Yes, I do know someone interested in mine, which is not for sale. Maybe they would consider yours. Please forward me pictures to show them. Cheers, Russie