Where's Jerry, Stan, and Dan?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
melvind
Victor IV

Re: Where's Jerry, Stan, and Dan?

Post by melvind »

And in Nebraska on I 80 no trip is complete without seeing Fort Cody!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry B. wrote:

Does anyone have an idea what machine should go on the square top? The largest oak Columbia that I have seen is a model BII. But I have seen matching cabinets for the BI and BII. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks, Jerry Blais
Jerry, congratulations on the record cabinet. It's a beauty. We show the same cabinet on page 209 of Antique Phonograph Accessories & Contraptions. I believe these cabinets were provided with wooden corner moldings which the owner could fasten to the top in order to secure their particular machine. (The example in the book has these corners in place.) Luckily, your cabinet represents a blank canvas for you to place anything - including internal-horn models - that you wish!

George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Union 2019 was a fun show and a great road trip. Our 5013 mile trip took us through Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin to Illinois. The return trip took us across Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, and Oregon. We drove a ¾ ton GMC and pulled a 14" tandem axle covered cargo trailer that was about loaded to about 75% capacity both ways. The truck is diesel and averaged 11.1 MPG for the entire trip. My two prior trucks, one Ford and one Chevrolet, averaged about 6 MPG on similar Union trips so I am delighted with 11 MPG. I burned 452 gallons of diesel at a total cost of $1424. The best part of the road trip was traveling with Dan and Stan. I couldn't ask for better traveling companions.

Jerry Blais

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Glad you fellows are safely back home. It sounds like you all had quite a trip - as always. Thanks for the travelogue!

George P.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

We did not post as much this year, but we still had a great trip. I have a few pictures from our trip that are fun. We give Stan a hard time, but really we don't treat him as badly as it might sometimes appear. And, any humor based on Stans perils are taken in good humor by him and also my Jerry and I.

Stan trying to get into an antique mall before it is open. He thinks there is always a chance they will open early!
2019-06-06 09.49.34.jpg
Stan was causing trouble in Rock Springs, Wyoming on the way home so he got locked up!
2019-06-12 10.32.11.jpg
A nice Iowa sky...
2019-06-10 16.13.14.jpg
A Nebraska wild sky
2019-06-11 16.38.09.jpg
And Finally, on our last miles in Oregon following the Columbia river we pass my home town and see Mt. Hood. A welcoming and beautiful sight.
2019-06-13 12.27.18.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

We had a little excitement on the way home in the middle of Wyoming. Traffic is generally light in Wyoming and most vehicles are large trucks. The speed limit is 80 MPH and most of the traffic, including us, was at or near eighty. We were flying along when I noticed a red light on my dash in the shape of a battery. I checked the gauge and it was over 12 volts and I was a little confused so I called my mechanic back in Albany. He thought I lost my alternator. I told him my truck has two alternators. He said he'd check the next town, Rock Springs, for a shop. I was about twenty miles away from Rock Springs when he called back with a mechanic to check things out. The roads are just about arrow straight but after several miles I changed lanes and noticed the steering was stiff. After another lane change or two I realized I had no power steering and the problem was probably a bad belt. I had previously had all hoses and belts replaced at my last service but could think of no other reason for my problem. I had no reason to use my brakes until took the Rock Springs exit and found I had only a tiny fraction of my truck's normal braking ability. I had to literally stand on the brake pedal to stop at the end of the exit. Luckily my route to the mechanic took me away from town. Even then I had to shift the transmission into neutral and use the emergency brake to make a reasonably safe stop. My GMC truck weighs about 8500 pounds and the loaded trailer probably about 3500 pounds. Had I known I had no brakes I would have coasted to a stop on the shoulder and called for a tow. I would have been irresponsible to do anything less. The Rock Springs mechanic was outstanding and had us back on the road in less than three hours. The issue turned out to be the common point for several of the belts. It froze causing multiple problems with charging, steering, and most important the brakes. Overall I have been very pleased with my GMC diesel but General Motors dropped the ball when it came to a warning light when that critical part failed. There was absolutely no warning about the brakes.

Jerry Blais

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

Glad you all were OK! That's what counts!

Mike Sorter

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Holy Smokes! Glad you were able to man-handle the rig to the shop, Jerry! As Mike says, as long as no one was hurt, it's a win.

George P.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

:shock: Seems like the Gremlin that started with Victrola-Monkey hid in that transferred crate. :?

James.

phonolady
Victor I

Post by phonolady »

Jerry, Dan, and Stan,
great to see you guys again and really enjoyed our time with you at Union.

Jerry, you said you got a Johnson M and we wanted to see the pictures, can you post please?

Thanks,
David & Lerria Rosamond