What do you think of the music of Guy Lombardo?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: What do you think of the music of Guy Lombardo?

Post by gramophone-georg »

russmovaz wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:polished "society" sweet dance band, at least until about 1933 when he brought in Teagarden and a young singer named Billie Holiday, and made Gene Krupa his permanent drummer.

Now, this next part is just my personal opinion, but if you want to experience the absolute apex of jazz/ swing (and perhaps even popular music in general if you want to go that far) it's Artie Shaw's 1940- 41 band on Victor,
A comment on Jack Teagarden: I watched him on Episode No.8 of the Ken Burns "Jazz" documentary where he sings with Louis Armstrong. Teagarden has a pretty fine voice, in the few seconds where he's singing. A lot of gravel in that voice, but also a lot of character.

Artie Shaw: in the "Jazz" interviews he appears bitter at times, calling the dancers at swing band concerts "morons." And he's bitter with the commercial aspects of the swing band era. Guess that's why he temporarily moved to small the Musicraft label, where he presumably had more control over what he could record.

I have a lot of Artie Shaw on Victor, which I have not yet played, not at all. Good to know there will be good things to hear.
Yeah, Artie was quite the curmudgeon, even in his younger days. Talk about the ultimate perfectionist, though... and it shows in his music. I cannot recall Shaw hitting a "clinker" even once... not on records and not on acetate.

Jackson T as a singer... oh, HELLS yes. :) There's a lot of it out there, too, beginning with Irving Mills' groups.
Last edited by gramophone-georg on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

russmovaz
Victor Jr
Personal Text: pay attention to what you dream at night

Post by russmovaz »

gramophone-georg wrote:A couple Jan Garber Columbias:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZdbG9hcV0k
"Tin Ear" -- I like it and it moves and sounds a lot like old New Orleans, though the old photos look like New York.
Russell DeAnna

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I like this late acoustic era Jan Garber track. I’ve demonstrated a few of my machines on YouTube with this record.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WEPhVHzlNmg

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

SteveM wrote:Auld Lang Syne makes me cry like a small child, those dang weepy saxes get me every time.
I think Auld Lang Syne is one of his best, and still can be related to.