Anyone recognizing this internal horn model?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Anyone recognizing this internal horn model?

Post by nostalgia »

I need help to possibly identifying this model.I attatch two photos, the stamp from the manufacturer is very blurry, but maybe someone still recognize this model? I have no more photos yet, and even if I already have two internal horn gramophones, the gramophone on the photos is for sale for only 35 Euro, so I would like some opinions, in case it is a rare breed. I have a HMV1 and Victor Victrola VV-VI, but they are not totally similar to this model.
Attachments
11.jpg
10.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Anyone recognizing this internal horn model?

Post by Phono48 »

The speed control is in the wrong place for a model 1, it looks like it's a model 3, with the speed control to the back left of the turntable, and the cannon brake bottom right. Made from November 1910 - August 1913. It looks like the case has been stripped. Information courtesy of "His Masters' Gramophone".

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Okay, thank you...so you think it is actually a HMV. Please pay attention to the soundbox, I don't recognize it as a HMV soundbox, but still, it looks original to the gramophone?

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Yes. it's definitely an HMV, but the soundbox (which I hadn't noticed) is not. The original was an "Exhibition".

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Details like the canon brake, winding handle and tonearm are definitely Gramophone Co. (HMV or Zonophone) as is the label and stamp to the base. As phonos48 says the soundbox should be an Exhibition (or Junior). Can you get more pics showing the speed control and motor?

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you:) I felt someone would recocnize the stamps and base.:) I have asked for more photos, but not received it yet. For 35 euro, I will consider it, since model 3 is more scarce than other HMV internal horn models, if I am right? But I want see the motor, if it is genuine etc.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

For 35 Euros you can't go wrong. A canon brake alone would normally sell for more than that. The big disadvantage is if the case has been stripped.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Please explain to me, a non English native speaker, what you mean with the case has been stripped.
Does this mean the wood has been rubbed down with sandpaper etc?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

nostalgia wrote:Please explain to me, a non English native speaker, what you mean with the case has been stripped.
Does this mean the wood has been rubbed down with sandpaper etc?

It means that the finish has been removed, either with a chemical stripper/remover, or possibly by sandpaper.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I drove 400 km by car yesterday to look at this gramophone, and bought it for 40 euro. It is a HMV model 3, as some of you rightly said, thanks a lot for settling that. The soundbox is, as also earlier stated, not an Exhibition. I attach some photos, it says "British make" on one side. The case does not look stripped to me (thank you for explaining this word to me), but it looks to be in desperate need of oil to get the glow back.
The gramophone has been stored for 40 years in a dry room, and when I opened the lid today, it was the first time in all these years someone had a look into it. I did not find £10 000 stored away, but instead I found what to me looks like a good motor, at least the turntable swirls around at good speed and also has power. Yes, it most probably need grease or oil, but this is something I will return to when I know how to do this properly.
I probably should stop buying gramophones for a while, when looking around my sitting room...or maybe not.;) Photos of the speed control and motor attached, as earlier suggested in this thread. I don't see much needed repair on this gramophone, apart from finding a decent soundbox and some oiling and greasing to the motor and wooden case.
Thank you to everyone involved recognizing this HMV, that made me decide to have a look at it, and this way also saving it from being thrown away or gone to waste.
Attachments
juni2019 015.JPG
juni2019 014.JPG
juni2019 007.JPG
juni2019 012.JPG
juni2019 011.JPG
juni2019 010.JPG