Seeking advice on next step refinishing

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Seeking advice on next step refinishing

Post by cjstoessner »

Hello and Good Evening! I am an amateur refinisher working slowly at perfecting this art form... ;) I am pleased to report that I used Citristrip on my early 1920's off brand floor model and have removed all the black gunky alligatored finish. That said, I am left with all the original stain. I am thrilled that the Citristrip didn't lift that off. Great news! Thank you to some forum members that answered a previous post a while back, too!

So, here is my question to those more experienced than me. As stated, I have all the original stain BUT a little bit of white residue from the stripping agent left is some tight spaces, wood grain, etc. and I have read some different opinions on how to "clean/rinse/wash" the cabinet. What is the consensus in removing all the stripping residue WITHOUT lifting off that original stain and patina? Denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, ???

Things are going so well and I don't want to mess it up now... :lol:

Thanks in advance!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Seeking advice on next step refinishing

Post by JerryVan »

I have never used Citristrip, but I have use denatured alcohol to wipe down the cabinet after stripping.

You say that the original stain is intact, which tells me that you don't intend to re-stain it. In my experience and observation, that would be a mistake. Stripping always seems to create light & dark areas, and no matter how unaffected you may believe the stain is, it will show some fading after you apply the finish. I would really encourage you to apply a fresh coat of stain. Besides, you'll most likely need to do some light sanding anyway after stripping, and that alone will effect the color.

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

JerryVan wrote:I have never used Citristrip, but I have use denatured alcohol to wipe down the cabinet after stripping.

You say that the original stain is intact, which tells me that you don't intend to re-stain it. In my experience and observation, that would be a mistake. Stripping always seems to create light & dark areas, and no matter how unaffected you may believe the stain is, it will show some fading after you apply the finish. I would really encourage you to apply a fresh coat of stain. Besides, you'll most likely need to do some light sanding anyway after stripping, and that alone will effect the color.
I agree with JerryVan. You will regret it if you don't restain. I suggest wet sanding to get all the old finish smooth also.

Stetam

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

I agree with the previous two that you may wish to consider re-staining your phonograph. This will balance out any blotchy areas caused by the stripping process.

1. If the overall colour of your project is not bad and you have not needed to do any woodworking repairs or filling of holes then I would not re-stain. you will be amazed how the first coating of Shellac or Lacquer will bring out the existing stain (making it pop). I have experienced this process evening out the blotchy appearance of unfinished stained wood.

2. If the damage or repairs is so much that you need to re-stain I would try with a diluted stain. Pick the colour to match the original stain, then dilute it with the solvent listed on the stain container. Then lightly apply and wipe off to your project so you are not overdoing the colour, just supplementing it.

Good luck and share pictures once you are done

Bruce

cjstoessner
Victor O

Post by cjstoessner »

Appreciate the input.... here are a few pics of what I started with and what I have, at the present moment.
Attachments
After my stripping "technique"
After my stripping "technique"
Raw07.29.19.jpg (116.34 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Before
Before
Before07.29.19.jpg (123.25 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Christopher J. Stoessner
Enthusiast, Collector, Historian
Author of Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and the Granby Phonograph

Founder
James-Gail Co.
www.james-gail.com

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I really think that re-staining will be best for that cabinet.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Nice machine. I know this is a practice cabinet but part of me hopes you still have the phonograph parts for it. A well-restored off brand is a rare treat to see.

If you need off-brand parts let me know. I have an assortment of escutcheons, speed dials, and whatnot for these old-model cabinet phonographs.

cjstoessner
Victor O

Post by cjstoessner »

Thank you! I will save your information. Luckily, I do have all the parts for this one. I completely took it apart prior to stripping, etc. The lid and doors and not in the picture....

This is an early production run Granby, prior to the trademark dome lid. Once I get my skills up a little, I would like to have a little niche restoring Granby/Leviola off brands within reason. I even have a Crystola I may tackle one day...

This is more for fun, not profit... :D