Victor II Humpback Spring Removal

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
bob27556
Victor I

Victor II Humpback Spring Removal

Post by bob27556 »

The spring on my Victor II Humpback needs to be cleaned and greased but I have not worked on this type of motor before. I've done this many times with Victrola motors but this is a new beast to me. Can someone offer advise as to how to remove the spring?

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Victor II Humpback Spring Removal

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Remove the motor entirely from the board and look at the top. The little stanchion-thingy that holds the springs should be bolted by heavy screws going through the iron top of the motor.

Getting the friction-fit covers off the barrel is tough. My brother made me some hooks out of old telegraph/telephone line, the copper stuff, that go through and POP--pulls it right off. Usually. You might need a rubber or raw-hide mallet to tap them back on.

Take all this cum grano salis. I worked on a museum's little VV-IX of 1912 and my own Victor III c. 1909 but never a real Victor II. But the motors look about alike so maybe that will help. (That Vic III stumped me for a while, though!)

bob27556
Victor I

Post by bob27556 »

Thank you very much. I'm now at the stage where I need to get the spring out of the barrel and can't figure out how to free the spring from the shaft.

cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Post by cheryla »