Is this a genuine Pathefone, and is it a "Buy Now" ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Is this a genuine Pathefone, and is it a "Buy Now" ?

Post by nostalgia »

Another horn gramophone comes my way, it is up for sale and current bid is $ 100.
Would you say it is collectable as it looks now? I really know nothing about these gramophones yet.
As one can see the horn is pasted to the elbow to not fall off, and the crank/handle is also missing.
3 Pathé records go with it.
Attachments
5.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Re: Is this a genuine Pathefone, and is it a "Buy Now" ?

Post by soundgen »

EWC mark on the base means it is an Excelsior Werke Cologne made machine

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excelsiorwerke

I have only ever seen EWC phonographs , but it looks an original base , perhaps a marriage with Pathé back bracket and tone arm , anyway definitely worth $100 :)

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you, "soundgen", for responding to my question, and shedding some light on this horn gramophone.
As it looks now, the gramophone will end in the hands of someone who want to put it on top of a fireplace in a cottage etc, and not care for it, and for sure not grease it etc. The seller lives 1800 km away from me, and say she does not have time to pack it safely, since she is working late ever day etc. I have even offered to pay a person within her family etc to pack it, so it can be shipped to me. But she says "No", and will not allow me to put a bid on it. In 3 hours time the sale will be closed.
One can not win every time...
-Nostalgia-

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Where is it located? Maybe a quick fellow forum member can grab it as it is a nice machine with a beautiful horn.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Two hours before the time was out, I was able to locate the sellers phone number.
I decided to make a phone call to her, and during the conversation her opinion and mood changed. She said she liked the idea of the gramophone being restored and preserved, and during the next 2 hours she called me 5 times, allowing me to take part in a bidding with another potential buyer. 30 minutes before the bidding time was ending, the other person retracted from the bidding, and I won the "auction", and the price was not at all scary. If so I would have passed it, since I absolutely not had planned another gramophone purchase right now. But how often do you find a horn gramophone of this age, and of this scarcity...
During the next week or so I will have the gramophone, and will also be on phone with the lady to assist her in packing the gramophone in two separate boxes, before it is shippped to me.
And Bruce, your idea was good, but I quickly understood the lady wanted to sell to someone local, and the only option was to call her, to possibly make a deal, since I already had communicated with her extensively over email and chat.
One can not win every time, but one also has not lost before every stone has been turned to find a possible solution...
-Nostalgia-
PS. I will post more photos of the motor etc...when the gramophone has arrived...

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

It looks to me that the machine has potential; the wooden horn is awesome and the records with which it will come (pehaps 3 packs will be better than 2) are a great bonus. Looks like a good deal indeed.

Remmotors
Victor O

Post by Remmotors »

The backbracket on this machine is not Pathé, although the reproducer is. The backbracket looks German to me. I believe this phonograph is original, not a put-together machine. Congratulations for your new phonograph!
Roy

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I believe the horn is a modern production, made in the 50's in Spain. It shows up every now and then in different types of machines.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I have this evening received in post this gramophone, and what a monster! It is VERY heavy. The horn will arrive over the weekend, in a separate container. Then I will also upload photos of the horn, to hopefully get some help to find out if it is original, or if the horn is from the 50's which have been suggested.
I am here and now uploading some photos of the motor. It is very heavy, and the crank is missing, even if a homemade crank followed the gramophone. There was also a BIG spring inside the case. Because of my lack of knowledge with motors (since I not yet have disassembled a motor) I admit not knowing if there is a spring inside the spring container or not, since I am a bit worried to ruin anything before knowing exactly what I do (in particular with this old gramophone). I am not able to wind it up as it is now....
"Soundgen"/Everyone: It will be very interesting to see now if this is an Excelsior Werke Cologne motor(EWC), since I guess they also made motors? "Soundgen" recognized the EGW logo on top of the machine.
Attachments
gramo4.JPG
gramo5.JPG
gramo6.JPG
gramo3.JPG
gramo2.JPG
gramo1.JPG

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Two things immediately obvious are a) the spring is badly bent in the centre, but should be fairly easy to straighten and b) more importantly, there are no governor weights or springs. If there is a spring in the drum, (which I doubt), and you wind it up, the motor will hurtle round at a speed that is almost guaranteed to severely damage the gears. Replacing the governor springs and weights should be the first thing you tackle.