Demonstrating My Phongraphs for Guests

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Demonstrating My Phongraphs for Guests

Post by audiophile102 »

I never miss the opportunity to demonstrate my machines to guests who have never even seen an antique phonograph before. Yesterday we had three couples ranging from 60 years old to 20 years old. The feedback I received only came from the younger ones. They thought it was kinda cool when I played Annette Hanshaw - "Mean to Me" on my Sonora. Later when I played an Edison diamond disk there was no response. I played "Cover Me up With Sunshine" which is one of my favorites, but all I heard back was crickets. I love this hobby, but I don't know how to promote it very well. I didn't get a chance to demonstrate my vv 8-12. Possibly that might have made an impression. :?
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Demonstrating My Phongraphs for Guests

Post by Jerry B. »

I try to be as perceptive as possible regarding the interest of my guests. I generally get a sense very quickly about their interest level and and adjustments to suit them. I have no interest in boring anyone. Unless asked otherwise, I seldom play much more than a snippet of a record.

Jerry Blais

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I once played Billy Murray singing "Give My Regards to Broadway" for a friend on my Triumph model E.She loved it!edisonplayer

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

My demonstrations happen very infrequently, and when they do, I invariably pick a poor record from the stack to play. I should really have ready something familiar that everyone knows, whatever his age (think "Star Spangled Banner").
If interest wanes, demo's over. Otherwise I would then pick a tune that plays and sounds especially well on whatever machine it's designed for.
Something I should do but so far haven't! ;)
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

For the past two or three years I've been making it a point to take a wind-up and a bunch of cylinders or 78's with me to music festivals (the electronic dance music type). I've hosted a few workshops on the technology and the types of music and even "DJ'd" at a few events. Recently a professional dancer was with me and we (she) gave a short lesson on how to do the Charleston.

Frequently I ask for feedback and have had a few "focus groups" with friends. The general consensus is younger people like the hot 1920's dance music but the lack of bass moves it from the "dance music" genre to "novelty". Electro Swing is a popular niche at such events and some tracks are simply modified pop songs such as "Ain't no Maybe in my Babies Eyes". I'm in the early stages of learning to mix and DJ with modern equipment and sincerely hope to keep the interest in early hot jazz alive by making a little more recognizable as what it is, fun, upbeat dance music...

https://youtu.be/0skPtSpX0jI

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I am mostly impressed by the reaction I get, especially when showing a cylinder machine play. Most say they've never seen anything like it outside a museum and never seen one play. Of course, I don't play full records, except maybe "Take me out to the ballgame" or similar. No 4 minute records. Most are interested more in the technology and novelty than in the actual music. I have DJ'd at some art shows before Xmas, playing 30s and 40s records on outside horn machines. That is usually well received.

Andreas

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

If you want to get your guests attention, play them a centre start Pathé. Even if they are not listening intently they will watch in anticipation of the reproducer falling off the edge of the record when it gets to the end. Needless to say, it doesn't.

dennman6
Victor I

Post by dennman6 »

In my living room I keep a VV-4 and a VV-IX (both 1920 models) atop a repurposed 1960s RCA Victor console stereo cabinet, and in the den are a 1914 VV-IX, Columbia Viva-Tonal 153a, and an Edison C-19. The family room has a 1926 Credenza. "IF" anyone seems interested in what they are and what they sound like I keep a small assortment of demo 78s near them. The Credenza will play George Olson and His Music "Varsity Drag" and the B-side of Stokowski's Orthophonic Red Seal of Hungarian Rhapsody N.2, which people will smile and recognize from the 1946 Tom & Jerry cartoon "The Cat Concerto". The Edison will play "The Whistler And His Dog". On the others I might play Paul Whiteman "I'll Build A Stairway To Paradise", Georgie Price "Barney Google", Arthur Pryor "William Tell Overture". The old "orchestral warhorses" most people will recognize from being used in cartoons or commercials-which makes me wince a little, but they get a kick out of hearing them. And some folks actually DO appreciate the early efforts of classical music recording because they love the genre. Two others that get a good reaction are Orthophonics of Brahms Hungarian Dances, and Caruso's version of "Over There". When they hear Caruso's "English" singing "Send the word-a, send the word-a, over there..." it gets 'em every time :)

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

I have demonstrated a machine or two over the years mostly Edisons or Victor uprights. The guys were usually interested in the mechanical aspect and the females to a much lesser degree. :( What bothered me at times was some of the guests left me with the impression/look that they felt my wife should be working on scheduling an intervention. However, most folks enjoyed old "Rastus" dancing on the record. I took a Victor IV to a old car show once, sat it on the leather suitcase on the rear of my 1930 Model A Ford, I only received one inquiry and that was where does the CD go?

Victor VII
Victor I

Post by Victor VII »

I have played my phono's for many people in private and public settings. The best way to engage people is with music or performers which are still known today. Seeing the origins of these songs and performers is of great interest. There are also lots of records with speakers of major historic interest. I even play many of my best records with soft tone needles for less wear and tear on the records. Obscure music or tinny/worn records extinguish interest quickly. Many folks love learning about Edison and Nipper.