VV-XVIII

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
rfuller63
Victor Jr

VV-XVIII

Post by rfuller63 »

I've been fortunate to inherit a VV-XVIII from my great grandmother, who bought it in 1916. It's walnut--American, I believe--and still works perfectly, with no work or refinishing ever done. Pictures below.
Attachments
IMG_1376.JPG
IMG_1376.JPG (93.77 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG (94.3 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
IMG_1377.JPG
IMG_1377.JPG (113.14 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
IMG_1372.JPG
IMG_1372.JPG (78.8 KiB) Viewed 1319 times

zenith82
Victor II

Re: VV-XVIII

Post by zenith82 »

That's a very nice machine and was high end in its day. Having it in the same family since new means even more.

Although it may still work, I'd highly recommend rebuilding the reproducer with a fresh diaphragm and gaskets and giving the motor a good cleaning and lubrication job. Old grease hardens and builds up dirt, which can cause premature wear to motor parts. Also, when playing records, these machines are only designed to play 78 rpm records that were acoustically recorded and laterally cut. Acoustic phonograph needles are disposable, meaning one needle is only good for one play and then is discarded. Re-using needles causes premature record wear. Needles are still manufactured today and are relatively inexpensive.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I’ve never seen a XVIII in American Walnut. It is very beautiful and I believe that your Great Grandmother had very good taste. Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Very Nice!!! Congrats!! The case is beautiful. I would agree that you should look into servicing the motor and reproducer if it hasn't been done already. Someday you will be able to gift it to your grandchildren.

rfuller63
Victor Jr

Post by rfuller63 »

Thanks for these comments. Is it permissible on this forum to ask for a recommendation for servicing the machine near Kansas City?

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

On this forum everybody is probably going to want to pitch in and help you!

That XVIII is a very coveted Victrola. Try getting some nice needles and change them with each side you play. Its family provenance is incredible and the machine is gorgeous.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Congratulations! What a beautiful Victrola!!!

I'm curious --- can you please tell us the complete serial number (located on the metal ID plate, which is located to the left of the tonearm) of this one???

Thanks, and Wow,
Bob

rfuller63
Victor Jr

Post by rfuller63 »

Yes, the plate says VV-XVIII and the number is 3366.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Thank you!

Bob

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Your machine is a real treasure. I would carefully clean the outside of the cabinet with Gojo hand cleaner (o/w pumice) and lots of rags. It will remove the dirt and leave the finish alone. Next, spend the money for Howards Feed n Wax. The finish will come to life. Next, rebuild the reproducer. Getting the parts is easy. Here is one I use. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Victor-Vic ... SwXYtYuyZ4
If you want to learn how to rebuild the reproducer, watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFRsmGBbuXI If you don't want to rebuild it yourself, check out this page on the forum. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ?f=8&t=195
Buy new needles and use them only once per record. Handing down family treasures is a wonderful tradition. Learn to appreciate owning such a rare and expensive machine. Welcome to the forum. :)
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."