Anyone here just have bad luck getting a certain machine?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Anyone here just have bad luck getting a certain machine?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Has anyone here had the one item on their list and every time it shows up it’s always the wrong time or it’s been messed with? The number one machine on my “most wanted” list is the common Credenza. But It seems like every time a Credenza pops up its either too far for someone to come with me to pick up, The hardware is parted out and it’s only an empty cabinet, Became someone’s bar / wine rack conversion, Someone tried to modernize it in the 1950s by taking the original hardware out and putting parts of a cheap record player in the cabinet, Or it’s 1000+ dollars!

Has anyone else just have every wrong thing happen when getting a machine you wanted? And when did the planets finally align and you got that machine?

Hopefully I’m not alone in this, because it feels like someone put a curse on me to keep me from ever owning a Credenza!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Anyone here just have bad luck getting a certain machine

Post by phonogfp »

You're definitely not alone. Sometimes it simply takes a long time for the magic moment to arrive.

Back in the mid-1990s I decided I had to have an early production AH Disc Graphophone. Now that's not a particularly rare machine... But it took about 10 years before I finally found the one I wanted. With a Credenza, time is definitely on your side. And the wait will be well worth it.

George P.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

I wanted a Credenza for the longest time, then found 2 near me about a month apart. I'm sure one will show up near you. Don't know where you are located but I would sell one of mine.

andyjon100
Victor I

Post by andyjon100 »

Don't fret and bide your time. There is something happening in the world of antique radios, and I'm certain phonos will follow suit - if they haven't already - there is less and less of a market for the big ones that take up a lot of real estate, and prices are dropping. Older collectors are dying off and their collections are flooding the market, while others are realizing they'll never be able to get to every project they have if they lived 10 lifetimes, and are starting to let some things go. (I won't go into my disdain for hoarders, though). It seems prices are dropping in the antique markets in general - good for those of us who don't have a lot of disposable income. In that vein, someday I'll probably actually be able to afford a nice open horn disc machine that doesn't need to be completely reconstructed piecemeal! :lol: Have patience, keep the feelers out, and one will find YOU. (I waited 20 years to find needed parts for a radio I have that's very special to me).

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

andyjon100 wrote:Don't fret and bide your time. There is something happening in the world of antique radios, and I'm certain phonos will follow suit - if they haven't already - there is less and less of a market for the big ones that take up a lot of real estate, and prices are dropping. Older collectors are dying off and their collections are flooding the market, while others are realizing they'll never be able to get to every project they have if they lived 10 lifetimes, and are starting to let some things go. (I won't go into my disdain for hoarders, though). It seems prices are dropping in the antique markets in general - good for those of us who don't have a lot of disposable income. In that vein, someday I'll probably actually be able to afford a nice open horn disc machine that doesn't need to be completely reconstructed piecemeal! :lol: Have patience, keep the feelers out, and one will find YOU. (I waited 20 years to find needed parts for a radio I have that's very special to me).

I also thought I wouldn’t find an external horn disc player either. Until February when I got my Standard Model X! Granted not all the parts were there but the fine people on this board hooked me up with the parts I needed! So that scratched my itch for that! As the old saying goes “every dog has its day.”

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I've been to the Stanton Auction in years past when the Credenzas seemed to be stacked up like cord wood and sold for an average of about $300 to $500. Stanton's is in MI.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

I've been like that trying to track down a #10 Cygnet horn, never quite managed to get one

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

I do not know your location but there has been one at the antique phonograph and other stuff in Rail Road Pa. The shop is just before the rail crossing coming from I-83 head head west on the road to ?? sorry I am 80 and I will have to look the town up it is between Timonium rd exit in MD and before York PA Just after the rest stop. I must leave now but I will post later to day.
Allen
p.s. Say Allen sent me
The name of the of the town to turn west on is Shrewsbury, PA. The owner of the shop is Skip Kahl I first met him at a friend's house when he was in his late teens. I would call first as he is not open all days of the week. The phone number is 1-717-235-3360. Skip generally has one or more of what you want as well as Diamond Disc and cylinder machines in his shop and other items.
Last edited by A Ford 1 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

A Ford 1 wrote:I do not know your location but there has been one at the antique phonograph and other stuff in Rail Road Pa. The shop is just before the rail crossing coming from I-83 head head west on the road to ?? sorry I am 80 and I will have to look the town up it is between Timonium rd exit in MD and before York PA Just after the rest stop. I must leave now but I will post later to day.
Allen
p.s. Say Allen sent me
I appreciate your offer. But I live nowhere near Maryland or Pennsylvania. (I live in small town Nebraska and I’m probably the only person on this board from here) and my family never travels at all because everyone is so busy with work they can’t take vacations. (I’ve only been to two other states.) So unfortunately it’s not an option for me.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

What I hunt for is rare, coveted by collectors and ridiculously expensive. I'm referring to the Columbia Grafonola lions head combination phonograph and Regina disk player. There were some made without the Regina attachment which seems to bring the price down from the stratosphere. I had three chances to buy one and two were repair projects. The first one disappeared in a puff of smoke and the second one I was out bid. The third was in Texas which might as well be on the far side of the moon. I think about it as my white whale when I look everyday for another chance to own one. Credenzas are easy to find in my part of the world so one should turn up for you. I saw an 8-30 near me on Facebook Market place today, but he wants $700. It does look perfect. Good luck.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."