Demonstrating My Phongraphs for Guests

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: Demonstrating My Phongraphs for Guests

Post by edisonplayer »

The other day my landlord and a friend of hers were visiting.I played Jelly Roll Morton's "Doctor Jazz Stomp' on my Credenza.Also played the Triumph E,the C-250 Diamond Disc,and my oak Brunswick 117.They loved them! :D edisonplayer

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I think it's important not to force someone to listen. I only play a record if a guest asks for it. I had an insurance contractor in my house last year and he was very interested in my machines. I thought, Hey maybe I can sell him a machine. I started telling him the history of the machines and the difference between vertical and lateral records and stuff. But after all that, i learned that all he wanted was something to play his old Grateful Dead albums on! He didn't know that they still make turntables and that he could order an Audio Technica for only about $100 on Ebay! So never over estimate someone's interest. Find out what they want before going into details!

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

After My fiance Bryanna and I spent a day at East Troy Wisconsin, Electric railroad riding the trolleys with Chuck Richards, and checking the car barn out, we all had a blast! After that we went and had root beer malts at Laubers', which has an old time general store look inside. When I came home I took the Edison Home B outside and put it on a typewriter table and played cylinders on the sidewalk. The 8 years before 2016, our town was not very active, you could run across main street a few times and not get run over and then about 2017, and still now, you can't find a parking spot, on most days, except Sunday, and have to go around the block a few times to get one. However this evening, about 20 people stopped and listened to cylinders who were out going to restaurants and out for a walk. I only had played it for about 45 minutes (I took it back in when it got dark.) The Apartment I live in was once a photo studio of W.H. Masters and Abraham Lincoln had his photo taken in what is now my living room on July 4th, 1856. It is documented in our Historical Society, where I go sometimes on some Saturdays, and play cylinders. I will be playing cylinders for an Ice Cream Social on August 17th, on their own equipment. Edison Home B with cygnet horn, and Fireside with K reproducer, and also an Amberola 50, which I all worked on. People who come over to my apartment listen to machines, and enjoy it. So I encorage all to play cylinders and discs anywhere you can, for guests or in public. I used to also play in Central Park, Tompkins Square park, and Washington square Park in New York City.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

edisonphonoworks wrote: The Apartment I live in was once a photo studio of W.H. Masters and Abraham Lincoln had his photo taken in what is now my living room on July 4th, 1856. It is documented in our Historical Society, where I go sometimes on some Saturdays, and play cylinders.
Wow! :o Have they put up a plaque on the building?

Bill

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

It is strange that lots of buildings in this town ARE on the National Historic Register, however this one is not. The Allen School I went to grade school is, because it is the oldest actual used school in Illinois built in 1887. I might go see how to do it, and initiate that.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I get out my various renditions of I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen, numerous waltzes and any music played on the xylophone for guests. I almost never fail to wind up the demonstration to rapturous applause, stomping, cheering and entreating, sometimes even with tears, from guests who plead for more. :)

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Wolfe wrote:I get out my various renditions of I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen, numerous waltzes and any music played on the xylophone for guests. I almost never fail to wind up the demonstration to rapturous applause, stomping, cheering and entreating, sometimes even with tears, from guests who plead for more. :)
Signed,
T. A. Edison

:D

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

52089 wrote:
Wolfe wrote:I get out my various renditions of I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen, numerous waltzes and any music played on the xylophone for guests. I almost never fail to wind up the demonstration to rapturous applause, stomping, cheering and entreating, sometimes even with tears, from guests who plead for more. :)
Signed,
T. A. Edison

:D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

I live one block from the Bureau County Historical Society. And I C.J'd for two hours today Edison two minute cylinders. They had an old time Ice Cream Social. I play the whole variety of cylinders, including marches, sentimental ballads, and descriptive cylinders, comic and speeches. I made a special record for the museum, that is used quite often that talks about the machine (Edison Fireside model A with cygnet horn, circa 1910,) and how the phonograph was invented and how cylinders are recorded and played back. It is interesting because even though it is brown wax, and recorded recently, it still sounds like a commercial cylinder of the 1910 era. And after I play it, then tell them it is myself on the cylinder. Everyone enjoyed hearing the machine, and to many it was the first time they saw or heard a cylinder phonograph, and were delighted and asked many questions.

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

I always got good responses from people when I took my VV-IV to school and would set up and spin records at lunch. Honestly surprised me to see other people from my generation (millenials or whatever, born 90s) actually be genuinely interested. Some couples would get up and try and dance like they saw in Gatsby or other movies, other people would want to know about the machine's history or mechanical workings. A few actually ended up having me find them machines. One girl ended up getting a nice VV-IX.

Another time in college, the whole housing area of campus lost power and I set up outside with my G50 playing Ruth Etting and 30s-40s swing and ended up drawing a crowd.

I think that the more exposure that these machines get, especially to the younger generations, the better.