Felt on the bottom of an Amberola 30

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Frank W
Victor Jr

Felt on the bottom of an Amberola 30

Post by Frank W »

Do this, then do this, then that. And when you are all done put felt on the bottom to protect whatever you are putting it on.

All this sounds great!! I have finished the restoration of an Amberola 30 and built a cabinet for it to rest on. To protect the cabinet top and shelves (yes, the Amberola will fit inside the cabinet) I want to put felt on the bottom. This raised some questions:

1. Originally did the Amberola have felt or some other cushion material on the bottom, and if it did
2. Did it cover the whole bottom or just the edge?

My Amberola was a mess when I got it and there was no indication of any cushion. Maybe just some felt dots on the corners was all there was?

If you have an opinion or knowledge that will help me with this...please post.

Anyone have an image?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Felt on the bottom of an Amberola 30

Post by phonogfp »

Typically, machines such as the Amberola 30 had a small rubber cushion nailed to the bottom near each corner. Readily available from Ron Sitko.

George P.

Frank W
Victor Jr

Post by Frank W »

Where did I get the idea that I needed FELT to place somewhere?

I purchased green felt for something...hmm. What could that be...or where is it suppose to go?

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

They usually had dots of woolen felt at the corners of the lid. You will see pictures of well-preserved machines still sporting this feature.

On mine, the felt is brown, but it is a very late machine with a high serial number, not like yours.

Also, that cabinet sounds very interesting and I for one would like to see pictures!

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

If you use Felt for anything on an Amberola 30, You can make little Felt Dots for the Front corners of the bottom of the lid cover. It will keep the lid from making marks in the wood and give it a nice soft cushion when you close the lid.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

cchaven
Victor Jr

Post by cchaven »

Mine also has the rubber 'feet' on the bottom, though they are rather hard and probably should be replaced. I also need to replace the felt pads for the lid.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Yes, All the original Amberola 30's that I have ever seen had the rounded "Rubber Feet" at the bottom. One rubber foot in each of the four corners at the bottom. If you look hard enough, You should be able to find the original anchor "nail" holes at the bottom of the phonograph that held the rubber feet on. Repro Felt and Repro Feet are available on Ebay, at APSCO, or any Phonograph Parts Dealer. Pretty common stuff. Just make sure that you get the size (Diameter) of the rubber feet right since they come in a few different sizes.

:o)

Tony K.