Interesting Brunswick portable

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Interesting Brunswick portable

Post by Inigo »

Lurking through Spanish adverts I've seen this wonderful machine for sale, 100€ only, and I'm asking if some soul can clarify if this Brunswick portable model sounds good. It looks like the big case hold a good horn inside, judging by the position of the tonearm and the size of the horn mouth. It looks pretty good.
The photos show what seems a Swiss soundbox instead of the classic Brunswick orthophonic. The colour of the soundbox matches the tonearm and hardware, what makes me think it's original. Did Brunswick mount Swiss soundboxes on their portable models at some point? What's the chance of this being fully original?
306414850_1.jpg
306414850_2.jpg
306414850_3.jpg
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Interesting Brunswick portable

Post by epigramophone »

I am sure that our American members will be able to answer your questions, but if I was in Spain the machine would soon become portable number 26 in my collection.
It appears to be of generous proportions and good quality, at a very reasonable price.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Why is the soundbox facing the wrong way?

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The late-model Brunswicks are "Panatropes," and they always were designed this way. It's kind of odd for changing needles--but it would be a lot easier for a left-handed person.

I think they look nice when they play because you can see the soundbox face from the front of the machine, and that is a little more decorative than the old way of staring at the back of it.

It appears similar to the 1929 P-109 Portable I had. That was a fine machine!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Those Brunswick portables sound beautiful. However, that one has the wrong reproducer, so ???

VictrolaGuy - Walt
Victor Jr

Post by VictrolaGuy - Walt »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:The late-model Brunswicks are "Panatropes," and they always were designed this way. It's kind of odd for changing needles--but it would be a lot easier for a left-handed person.
Not so. Brunswick also favored right-handers. Although the reproducer is mounted opposite of what most are familiar with, note that the thumbscrew protrudes toward the back, and not the front, of the reproducer. (The reason for the left side orientation of the reproducer mounting is a subject in itself.)
BrunswickPanatropeGold07082017(10).JPG
BrunswickPanatropeBronze06282015(10).JPG

VictrolaGuy - Walt
Victor Jr

Inigo wrote:The photos show what seems a Swiss soundbox instead of the classic Brunswick orthophonic...Did Brunswick mount Swiss soundboxes on their portable models at some point? What's the chance of this being fully original?
In the US the later versions of the Panatrope reproducer bodies and retaining rings were made of pot metal, the majority of which quickly succumbed to zinc pest. Perhaps the Swiss reproducer is a simply a replacement.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

VictrolaGuy - Walt wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:The late-model Brunswicks are "Panatropes," and they always were designed this way. It's kind of odd for changing needles--but it would be a lot easier for a left-handed person.
Not so. Brunswick also favored right-handers. Although the reproducer is mounted opposite of what most are familiar with, note that the thumbscrew protrudes toward the back, and not the front, of the reproducer. (The reason for the left side orientation of the reproducer mounting is a subject in itself.)
BrunswickPanatropeGold07082017(10).JPG
BrunswickPanatropeBronze06282015(10).JPG

Thanks Walt, I forgot. Glad to be proven wrong--it's been a while since I sold my old Panatrope. You're right about zinc pest. The box had come apart in the back and I made a new retaining ring out of silicone caulk.

VictrolaGuy - Walt
Victor Jr

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: You're right about zinc pest. The box had come apart in the back and I made a new retaining ring out of silicone caulk.
My quest is to obtain, or maybe even just see with my own eyes, ONE PERFECT pot metal Panatrope reproducer (say that quickly ten times in a row). I've seen a few swollen ones that sort of get by and hang in there, but in the maybe 100 to 150 that have come my way, not a one of them is what we could call "perfect". The quest continues!