Voix de son Maitre...question

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Voix de son Maitre...question

Post by Inigo »

I'd bet it has the 59 motor, judging from the little trumpet counterplate guiding the winding handle just at the inner side of the case border. This counterplate is attached to the external winding estucheon by two screws, so the estucheon is double, one at the outer side and another one at the inner side. The arrangements for the winding handle were different for the 410 and for the 270 motors.
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you, Inigo. I will try to get this black 101. If it has a 59 motor, all good. If it turns out not to have it, well then it still of course can be saved for future restoration works. If I get it, I will post what motor it has.;)

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I've said what I've said because the 101s with the 410 motor and slanted lateral winding crank had an arrangement similar to the 102s, with an U indentation on the case border, no crank estucheon. I've not seen any 101s with the modern 270 motor, but being the same as the 102s, I suppose the arrangement will be also the U shaped channel... Anybody can confirm this? I have the Incredible Portable book by Cooper at home...
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I guess this thread now is turning in another direction, but since I started to talk about the black 101, and that I will use this for repairing my green 101 (since the Voix son Maitre is a total different breed), I am here uploading some photos of the green 101, that I am servicing. I find the nature of the leatherette and also the color very different from other green colored 101 models that I have seen so far. I have in total 4 different 101 models of different colors, but the leatherette really feels very different on this green model. It is also glued in a strange way as one can see on the photo where I hold my finger. It also has a black record cover in the lid, but I guess that may have been added later, but in total the whole gramophone looks odd to me. Anyone having (seen) a similar 101?
Attachments
IMG_2094.JPG
IMG_2093.JPG
IMG_2092.JPG
IMG_2091.JPG

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I think this 101 is what we in the UK call a "marriage", i.e. assembled with parts from more than one machine. A genuine green 101 should have a leathercloth covered motor board, and of course a matching green record storage pocket. All the external metal fittings and the lid hinge should be nickel plated, not painted black, and the turntable cloth should be green.

Here is the real thing :
Attachments
101.jpg
101.jpg (13.13 KiB) Viewed 1153 times

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

epigramophone wrote:I think this 101 is what we in the UK call a "marriage", i.e. assembled with parts from more than one machine.
I think it is just a regular black 101 very badly reupholstered with some totally wrong material und colour. Sadly this machine is practically worthless.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I find this discussion interesting. I paid only 25 euro for this gramophone last year, so it is not a big loss;) It is however interesting though
if someone at some stage removed all the original cover, and reupholstered it. It must have been a big task in itself. Even if it turns out to be worthless I have decided to give it a new life, even if it is a bastard. I will buy the black 101 for around 20 euro, and take some parts from it to finish up this "green" 101. I could also do it the other way around, but somehow it feels better to finish this "thing". Whatever color it has, and being a bastard or not, it can still play my 78 rpm's in my garage room, maybe that is exactly where it belongs:) I will even remove the spring and grease it, since all other parts are cleaned and oiled now. It has a HMV no4 soundbox, that I also will fix, if I only can manage to split the soundbox, I hope it is not glued together, I have not been able to open it yet.....