Upright Steger listed on eBay.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Upright Steger listed on eBay.

Post by Benjamin_L »

A very meek Steger Model was listed on eBay, but what really caught my eye was the record repeater.

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Steger ... SwT4Rdd8zI)

I've rarely ever see this type of repeater come up and thought it was worth sharing. (I've seen a few YouTube videos of it and think it's a neat contraption.) Was this seen as a serious phonograph accessory or more of a novelty like the brooks repeater?

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbnuR0QccpA)
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg

tomb
Victor IV

Re: Upright Steger listed on eBay.

Post by tomb »

If someone lives close that would be a good buy. Tom

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Is it me or did the photos from the original listing of the repeater and record index and needle cutter all mysteriously vanish?

Sean

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

OrthoSean wrote:Is it me or did the photos from the original listing of the repeater and record index and needle cutter all mysteriously vanish?

Sean
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Phonog ... SwBwJdeOZf

Not your imagination. The seller has them listed separately.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Ah, so they did. Well, they didn't last long, I'll let y'all know how the repeater works when it all arrives. It's been awhile since I've bought a new toy.

Sean

Benjamin_L
Victor III

Post by Benjamin_L »

Awh, I'm a little disappointed, I was hopping the seller would keep them together.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Benjamin_L wrote:Awh, I'm a little disappointed, I was hopping the seller would keep them together.
You may have seen me complain about this kind of thing before as well. I agree with you, BUT, obviously the seller was either alerted to the fact that the accessories are worth more than the machine or they just got greedy. Someone else would've likely bought them if I hadn't, so at least they're going to a good home and I'll likely now be making my L&H fiber needle cutter available here later on. The one in this lot is cosmetically much nicer than the one I have and use daily. Not a total loss!

Sean

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Slightly O/T...
I bought a L&H fibre cutter on eBay in mid nineties. It didn't cost much, probably 20 bucks or so... I also used it daily, until I get another two HMV cutters, one straight and one slanted. Now the deal of cutting bamboos goes between them three. Well, if I'm sincere, I hardly use the L&H now, for it cuts the point at a more slanted angle, and the point is more acute and finer. This is good for certain soft records. But for heavier records I've noticed better results using the HMV cutters, which cut at a steeper angle, leaving a thicker point. This tends to break less, and produces a more round tone, grand and warm... it's a matter of tastes, and the kind of records being played. Normally I have one cutter of each kind at hand, and sometimes I use a nail file for repointing...
Last edited by Inigo on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Oops...
Inigo

Benjamin_L
Victor III

Post by Benjamin_L »

OrthoSean wrote:
You may have seen me complain about this kind of thing before as well. I agree with you, BUT, obviously the seller was either alerted to the fact that the accessories are worth more than the machine or they just got greedy. Someone else would've likely bought them if I hadn't, so at least they're going to a good home and I'll likely now be making my L&H fiber needle cutter available here later on. The one in this lot is cosmetically much nicer than the one I have and use daily. Not a total loss!

Sean

Oh I completely agree, Sean and am really glad you got it. I'm just sad with the seller, but it was inevitable once they found out that little gizmo's worth more than the entire phonograph.

So my disappointment was only focused at them.- Benjamin
Last edited by Benjamin_L on Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.