Amberola 30 on shopgoodwill.com

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Amberola 30 on shopgoodwill.com

Post by CharliePhono »

Here's the URL for the listing: https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/75674589

But -- I'm looking at the pic below and can't quite put my finger on what's up with the reproducer. I'm not really an Edison collector, but have owned one in the past and something doesn't look right?
Attachments
842510310131133evas.jpg

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Amberola 30 on shopgoodwill.com

Post by fran604g »

Looks like it might be a cobbed "O" reproducer or something? Homemade?

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

fran604g wrote:Looks like it might be a cobbed "O" reproducer or something? Homemade?

Fran
Not sure, Fran. I think "cobbled" is the word; I wondered if it wasn't some cobbling or a C repro. in there, but I'm in no way an authority on such things.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

I beleive this is actually an ICS amberola 30. There were ICS blue amberols although they're a bit more scarce than the usual 2 minute ones. I would jump on this if I had the money :cry:

Martin
Last edited by Mormon S on Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I'm pretty sure that's the modified Model H reproducer used in the ICS version of the Amberola 30. The tail weight is partially cut off and there's an adapter ring and a different horn connector. You'll notice that this example has the speed control visible, which would be needed when playing 90 rpm language cylinders.

The major plus with this is that as shown, you can use it to play wax Amberols.

You can of course also swap in a Diamond C reproducer in place of the modified H if you want (but obviously not for wax).

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

52089 wrote:I'm pretty sure that's the modified Model H reproducer used in the ICS version of the Amberola 30. The tail weight is partially cut off and there's an adapter ring and a different horn connector. You'll notice that this example has the speed control visible, which would be needed when playing 90 rpm language cylinders.

You can of course also swap in a Diamond C reproducer in place of the modified H if you want (but obviously not for wax).
Thanks, 52089! I love learning new things about these machines. That is something I never would have figured out.

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

Mormon S wrote:I beleive this is actually an ICS amberola 30. There were ICS blue amberols although they're a bit more scarce than the usual 2 minute ones. I would jump on this if I had the money :cry:

Martin
Well, Martin, it's sitting there at $51 and closes tomorrow. You never really know where these things are going to end up; I've seen auctions like this close at a low price or someone will snipe it at the last minute. It's within a 2-hour drive for me; I just don't have a lot of interest in cylinder machines.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

52089 wrote:I'm pretty sure that's the modified Model H reproducer used in the ICS version of the Amberola 30. The tail weight is partially cut off and there's an adapter ring and a different horn connector. You'll notice that this example has the speed control visible, which would be needed when playing 90 rpm language cylinders.

Thanks Kevin! I've never examined an ICS Amberola before. That's good to know.

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Sold for $161 plus shipping and handling. Someone got a nice bargain!