On this day 100 years ago.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

On this day 100 years ago.

Post by epigramophone »

On 27th September 1919 Adelina Patti passed away at her Welsh castle "Craig-y-Nos".

Having earned an enormous fortune she could afford the very best in home entertainment. Her Welte orchestrion was the largest and most expensive in their range, and she called it "the castle's soul". Her gramophone with it's amplifying horn and ornate pedestal was a gift from The Gramophone & Typewriter Ltd.

After Patti's death the castle's contents were sold in 1920. The gramophone was purchased by a local man, whose descendants donated it to the National Museum of Wales. Some years ago I saw it on display at the Museum of Welsh Life, St.Fagans.

The orchestrion's fate was very different. After the sale it was moved to a summer camp on the Isle of Man, where it fell into neglect. The building in which it was housed leaked, and it was badly damaged by damp. When someone unwisely tried switching it on, the electrics shorted and it caught fire. The owners could not afford to repair it, so eventually it was broken up and used as firewood in the camp's heating boiler.
Attachments
Patti.jpg
Welte.jpg
Welte.jpg (152.19 KiB) Viewed 904 times
Patti's gramophone.jpg
Patti's gramophone.jpg (106.84 KiB) Viewed 904 times

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: On this day 100 years ago.

Post by nostalgia »

What a story! Thank you for sharing, all this was new reading to me, and neither had I heard of Adelina Patti, but now I of course had to go to Youtube and found some recordings of her there (great listening). Good they were able to save the gramophone, but that Orchestrion had a tragic ending. A reminder of the importance of collecting and caring for our talking machines/gramophones/phonographs, whatever level it is on.
Would have loved to hear that Orchestrion, though:)

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Fortunately some Welte orchestrions have survived into preservation, and can be seen and heard on YouTube.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Notice the original Welte catalogue illustration of the orchestrion at Craig-y-Nos which epigramophone has posted , the text proudly mentions several of the Welte company's satisfied customers , one of which is David Salomans , baronet at Broomhill ( near Tunbridge Wells ) . Pleased to say that the Salomans organ is one of the few still in its original location as supplied new -- and has in recent years undergone extensive renovation so that it now performs to optimum ability. I believe the instrument previously purchased by Salomans was a Welte No 10 Orchestrion , but was later replaced with the currently installed Welte Philharmonic organ ( a more impressive instrument ) which was factory fitted uniquely with a dual tracker bar so that the new instrument would be able to play not only Welte Philharmonic music rolls but also the No 10 Orchestrion music rolls that David Salomans had already purchased. A very fine instrument indeed . Regards Dulcetto

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

What an interesting story. After reading your post I decided to spin one of Patti's better records--"Ah non credea" from La Sonnambula, accompanied by her nephew. There are several very enjoyable records in her discography, all recorded in December 1905 and June 1906 at her home.

Thanks for the great post!

Steven
Attachments
IMG_6923.JPG