Best grease to use for springs?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: Best grease to use for springs?

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

nostalgia wrote:Thanks also to Marco Gilardetti from suggesting Valvoline grease, have you used this yourself for springs?
Yes I do and I am very pleased about it. As said previously, as I can also find graphite paste locally, I mix 30% graphite and 70% moly grease. Pure graphite paste is very very thick and would be unusable in pure form as it would block the whole coils/barrel assembly rather than lubrify it, but it mixes perfectly with moly grease, which is as well grey/black by nature so also optically very similar to what was used back then.

But in any case, adding graphite is only for being philological and nostalgic as I'm sure that 100% moly grease would work perfectly just as well.

In your case I would perhaps mix 50% of that graphite spray (which is definitely not as thick as graphite paste) with 50% of moly grase. But, as said, adding graphite is an optional for us picky ones. ;)

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

I have tried a lot of things, but keep coming back to Lubriplate 630-AA for grease. I have an Edison Standard B that has had this grease in the spring barrel for over 26 years and never been touch and no thumps or bumps, winds smooth. You can buy it online if you want to try some out.

Would not put graphite in if you paid me. That stuff makes a mess, and was great in its time, but the Lubriplate grease stays much cleaner and works just fine.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

I always use synthetic grease on my cars, so it's always on the shelf. The first few phonographs I replaced springs on were lubed with synthetic. On these machines the springs will sometimes "settle" or "slap" when winding down. It can be quite loud and startling, it's never caused a problem but I no longer use synthetic. A mix of 50/50 graphite and petroleum jelly is what the Edison manuals mentioned, I've tried it and it works well with no noise. It's easy to make too, just measure into cups and mix until smooth.

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Post by Chuck »

Yup. I always just mix up some vaseline and graphite.
On my Edison Standard model D combination machine,
there are some convenient holes in the barrel.
I just reach in through those holes with a wooden
popsicle stick that has the end full of the vaseline
and graphite. That just gets worked into the spring.

Then, every few years I touch it up with some
90 weight or 140 weight gear oil put in those same
holes using an eyedropper.

Makes a huge oily and greasy mess on the bottom inside
of the wooden cabinet box. That is why I keep a thick
layer of paper towels laying in there. They get changed
out every 10 years or so when they get saturated.

Chuck
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

After reading this I went and played with 4 machines that have not been used in 6 months or longer-just been busy, 3 of the 4 are mobil 1. I write the dates when I do springs on a small card and put it inside the machine against one of the case walls. The Victor Credenza's motors were done 4 years ago-full crank wind down no problem, payed 10-12 records. Victor 111 motor 3.5 years ago, same deal. Edison Home-26 months ago-zip problems. Edison standard white graphite lube about 3 years ago slight chug, but after a couple of windups and cylinders, seems fine.

I have used mobil 1 for years on cars and phonographs and the only problem I have had with the oil is when I go to an older car with it that has not had its gaskets replaced. A car that is a non leaker, around gaskets and such will begin to show oil leaks after I switch. Talking with other car guys and the Mobil 1 tech people we have learned that the oil has smaller molecules and gets into place that other traditional oils do not get to.

Almost all car manufacturers want you to use synthetic oils especially on high performance motors In fact on newer Corvettes you will void the warranty on the motor if you do not use it.

I like it and will continue to use it, for these motors might be overkill, but ya never know when ya might just need those few extra RPM's at the end of a record!

Abe

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

need4art wrote:After reading this I went and played with 4 machines that have not been used in 6 months or longer-just been busy, 3 of the 4 are mobil 1. I write the dates when I do springs on a small card and put it inside the machine against one of the case walls. The Victor Credenza's motors were done 4 years ago-full crank wind down no problem, payed 10-12 records. Victor 111 motor 3.5 years ago, same deal. Edison Home-26 months ago-zip problems. Edison standard white graphite lube about 3 years ago slight chug, but after a couple of windups and cylinders, seems fine.

I have used mobil 1 for years on cars and phonographs and the only problem I have had with the oil is when I go to an older car with it that has not had its gaskets replaced. A car that is a non leaker, around gaskets and such will begin to show oil leaks after I switch. Talking with other car guys and the Mobil 1 tech people we have learned that the oil has smaller molecules and gets into place that other traditional oils do not get to.

Almost all car manufacturers want you to use synthetic oils especially on high performance motors In fact on newer Corvettes you will void the warranty on the motor if you do not use it.

I like it and will continue to use it, for these motors might be overkill, but ya never know when ya might just need those few extra RPM's at the end of a record!

Abe
You put Oil in a spring barrel? :o

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

In my last spring refitting, I followed Marc Capra's advice, and fitted with a mixture of Molykote grease, to which I added some spoonfuls of graphite powder. In theory, Molykote alone should work, but I've had bumping problems with this in the past. So this time I added the graphite powder. I put some 10-12 spoonfuls of Molykote and 2-3 of graphite powder. It works fine by now, but in my experience with Molykote, still must wait a couple of months and then judge... If this time it works well along time, I will refit and regrease springs with this mixture in the other machines that are bumping...
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

A further note on the use of vaseline. I've also been using vaseline/graphite powder 50/50 for a time, but ended no good. I had to re-clean and regrease these motors. The thumping was there in a few weeks after application of that mixture.
I must tell that I was told by someone else that I should blame on the type of vaseline I used. I took generic vaseline bought at a drugstore, and that man told me that the problem was the vaseline was not thoroughly dehidrated , it contained some water and this is what was causing the problem. So be sure to use a good quality well dehidrated vaseline!
Dont know the reliability of that advice, though... Neither
I know where to get this product from a reliable brand. Apparently all brands of vaseline say that their product is good. So maybe it's better to buy from a well known professional lubricants brand...
Inigo

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

As said many times in other threads similar to this one, I personally can see no reason at all to use vaseline, except being overpicky about philological restorations. Vaseline was "good enough" back then, but since much much better and more stable lubricants became available, there's really no reason to use it any longer in my opinion.

Now and then, however, I read messages of fellows who say that it works well. That's all right with me; to each his own, of course.

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

I may be way off on this, but I heard a while back of a guy that swore to a mix of petroleum jelly/bearing grease/5w40 oil mix. Has anyone heard of such a mixture?