Charleston 78 record - Savoy Orpheans

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

Charleston 78 record - Savoy Orpheans

Post by poodling around »

I may be wrong but isn't this the record 'everyone wants' ?

If so, it's on a French label but may be a good buy ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Savoy-Orphea ... Swk8JdtgSj

I am still not on ebay incidentally
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Re: Charleston 78 record - Savoy Orpheans

Post by Stephen_Madara »

it says in the listing it has hairline cracks. so mostly likely will not sell for much

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Stephen_Madara wrote:it says in the listing it has hairline cracks. so mostly likely will not sell for much
If I am not mistaken, that is a laminated pressing. If so, what the seller means to say is "lam cracks" which most likely don't affect play. I've bought from that seller before and was pleased.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

This is indeed Matrix 4-189, issued in the UK as B2076, the coveted version with the spoken introduction.

Although a big hit in it's day, most copies were either played until worn out or discarded when fashions changed. I spent many years hoping to find a good copy and was eventually given, yes given, one by the family of a deceased collector in return for helping to clear and sell his large collection.
Attachments
Charleston.jpg
Charleston.jpg (82.77 KiB) Viewed 1688 times

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

This is indeed a hard one to find in decent shape. It took me years and I believe it was the last major label of Charleston that I found.
And yes, copies are available :)

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

This French pressing K-3076 isn't laminated. I own one (worn) copy of the same pressing since 1984. French HMV records were laminated only after the merger with Columbia, which was who owned the laminated process. In France the merger resulted in the big Pathé-Marconi enterprise, and they decided to maintain the laminated process, unlike the UK EMI or the Spanish Gramófono-Odeon. In Italy, for instance, they (Marconiphone?) also chose to maintain the laminated process. I think Germany did the same. Australian pressings were also laminated. Pity for us... laminated records were much better surfaces...
In Spain the Columbia enterprise was an independent affair with licenses from UK Columbia and also from the USA company, founded with two different contracts when these two were independent. They started with the laminated process until 1934, when the license for this process was no more granted (?) maybe add a consequence of the EMI merger (?) or because of a new formulation discovered by them (?) or for cost cutting measures (?)... The case is that our Columbia company managed to maintain its independence from Gramófono-Odeón, and also the rights to use the Columbia brand inside Spain. But they never made laminated pressings anymore. Nevertheless, their shellac pressings were of very good quality, slightly better than those of Gramófono. Gramófono absorbed Odeón and Parlophone Spanish branches into a new Gramófono-Odeón entreprise, licensed by EMI, but they also decided to abandon the laminated process that Odeon and Parlophone were using, in favour of the standard shellac record, which was good, but not as good as the Spanish Columbia.
Inigo