HMV model 100 portable...in red color?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

HMV model 100 portable...in red color?

Post by nostalgia »

I found these photos online, of a red HMV model 100 portable. It obviously was sold on Ebay UK in the past, but when searching on Ebay's
past listing, I am not able to retrace it. I am not exactly sure how this advanced search is working, maybe it shows only recent sales back to a certain date.
Anyway, according to the "HMV portable book" by Dave Cooper, and also the " His Masters Gramophone" book, this model was never manufactured in red?
Attachments
100 red (4).jpg
100 red (4).jpg (28.29 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
100 red (3).jpg
100 red (3).jpg (25.81 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
100 red (2).jpg
100 red (2).jpg (33.93 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
100 red (1).jpg
100 red (1).jpg (25.02 KiB) Viewed 1904 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: HMV model 100 portable...in red color?

Post by epigramophone »

Both the Dave Cooper book and "His Master's Gramophone" state that in the UK the HMV100 was only available in black. The only other version was the Tropical Teak model assembled in HMV's Calcutta factory for the Indian market. Even the HMV101 was only available in these same two versions until mid 1927, when coloured variants first appeared.

The machine pictured appears to have been heavily restored and, I suspect, re-coloured.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Yes, it must have been re-coloured...

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

epigramophone wrote:Both the Dave Cooper book and "His Master's Gramophone" state that in the UK the HMV100 was only available in black. The only other version was the Tropical Teak model assembled in HMV's Calcutta factory for the Indian market. Even the HMV101 was only available in these same two versions until mid 1927, when coloured variants first appeared.

The machine pictured appears to have been heavily restored and, I suspect, re-coloured.

The red paint is indeed a later sinn. For the sake of completeness I'd like to point to the other versions of the Model 100, the french version in solid oak.
E7AB27B7-AF97-47AC-99D9-E243F1ADAF67_1_201_a.jpeg
There was also a tropical teak version with the bigger 32 motor, this was most likely not called Model 100, but the history on tropical machines is by no means well explored.
385012D2-3FA0-4319-A837-9E3EB3DFA6BD_1_201_a.jpeg

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you for posting these pictures of the model 100. I always find it very informative when someone post photos in this way, and this time also of a rather hard to find HMV model.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The French Model 100 appears to be of identical construction to the Tropical Teak version, i.e. with expansion joints in the panelling to withstand the tropical climate.
It almost looks like a Teak machine which has been darkened, but if it has the "La Voix de son Maitre" lid transfer (does it?) it must be genuine and very rare.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I'd really like to know why the French Market got an oak 100, now that I've got one in my collection!

Dangermouse
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I can resist anything except temptation..

Post by Dangermouse »

yes I saw that one too. Total muck up. I'd have to do a lot of work on it to get it back to original . Restoring one now, a very nicely made machine. Quite rare .

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Dangermouse wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:58 am yes I saw that one too. Total muck up. I'd have to do a lot of work on it to get it back to original . Restoring one now, a very nicely made machine. Quite rare .
Are you restoring an oak 100? The one I bought from Cumbria courtesy of 1818 "we'll get back to you but we won't" or "we don't know oak from stained softwood" or "we don't recognise the most famous trademark in the world" Auctioneers, only needed cleaning up and new carrying handle.

I did wipe off the somewhat black wax polish on the outside of the case (very easily done as white spirit just dissolves it) as it was very scratched and scuffed and dirty. I can't get that coal effect so my case is plain dark oak now on the outside but much more ash colour inside. Its a curiously dark and non-durable finish they used uniquely on this machine. I prefer the outside colour I have now! I have seen others the same so presumably other collectors have the same idea.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

epigramophone wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:37 am Both the Dave Cooper book and "His Master's Gramophone" state that in the UK the HMV100 was only available in black. The only other version was the Tropical Teak model assembled in HMV's Calcutta factory for the Indian market. Even the HMV101 was only available in these same two versions until mid 1927, when coloured variants first appeared.

There are several clues that tell an experienced eye that this did not come out of any HMV factory like this. Looking closely at the photos , it can be seen that the case at least started off life as a side - wind 101 . Look closely especially at photo 2 and witness marks / shadows can be seen where the original cut out and escutcheon cover would have been. The turntable is the incorrect pattern for a model 100 , which had a flat rim edge , not a slightly raised rim channel as per most model 101s and all model 102s. Naturally the turntable felt colour is therefore incorrect also, the felt used in 1924 / 25 was a lighter brown colour , almost tan. The front escutcheon plate is of the wrong pattern . obviously fitted by the " restorer " as what he had to hand. The record storage flap on Model 100's is often seen without metal ring protector around the centre hole. Much of the nickel plating does not match condition. I'm also not convinced the surface texture or " grain " of the leather - cloth covering is correct and the exact colour hue doesn't seem quite right either to my eye. Another giveaway is the lack of any minor scuffing or digs on the outer case surface -- gramophones rarely survive nearly 100 years without some minor knocks and scrapes. Dulcetto