Imperator 53 Coin-op monster

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Sidewinder
Victor III

Imperator 53 Coin-op monster

Post by Sidewinder »

Does anyone here know where one of these uncommon machines is standing. A long time ago - if memory serves me correct - I saw a photo which apparently was made in a wood panelled room of an Italian collection / museum.

I am looking to find out what was the correct motor and tone-arm.

The cabinet in real life is quite fancy with different wood veneers and polished brass embelishments.

Thanks, grazie mille!
Attachments
imperator53.JPG
imperator53.JPG (26.46 KiB) Viewed 2122 times

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: Imperator 53 Coin-op monster

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Even bottom-of-the-line gramophones in Italy are scarcer than saffron and truffles. Much scarcer, actually. The only serious museum that I can think of and might possibly have pieces of that rarity and glamour is the Museo Pelagalli, although I don't recall it having wood-paneled rooms:

http://www.museopelagalli.com/index_UK_INIZIO.htm

Are you sure you hadn't see it in the Phono Museum of Paris perhaps?

http://phonomuseum.fr/

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I'd love to see some pictures of your incomplete machine. Especially if it still has the turntable and coin mechanism.
Last edited by chunnybh on Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Even bottom-of-the-line gramophones in Italy are scarcer than saffron and truffles. Much scarcer, actually. The only serious museum that I can think of and might possibly have pieces of that rarity and glamour is the Museo Pelagalli, although I don't recall it having wood-paneled rooms:

http://www.museopelagalli.com/index_UK_INIZIO.htm

Are you sure you hadn't see it in the Phono Museum of Paris perhaps?

http://phonomuseum.fr/
Thanks for the leads. museopelagalli definitely not.

Jalal also not

The motor is the issue...its missing. Which is why locating the complete one will be a huge boost, in that I see what I need to look for (or maybe already have?)

fingers crossed!

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Sidewinder wrote:Does anyone here know where one of these uncommon machines is standing. A long time ago - if memory serves me correct - I saw a photo which apparently was made in a wood panelled room of an Italian collection / museum.

I am looking to find out what was the correct motor and tone-arm.

The cabinet in real life is quite fancy with different wood veneers and polished brass embelishments.

Thanks, grazie mille!
It may have been in Marco's collection in Italia.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Its a but buried in the basement under a few boxes, but here a sample.

IMPERATOR was a company that was originally a manufacturer of disc format music boxes.
Attachments
imp2.jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

gramophone78 wrote:It may have been in Marco's collection in Italia.
:lol: Unfortunately not, I'm afraid!

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:It may have been in Marco's collection in Italia.
:lol: Unfortunately not, I'm afraid!
Sorry, different Marco... ;).

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

For whatever it's worth, I have a "Swissie" type machine with Spanish dealer tags that has an Imperator reproducer. If you need a photo, I can provide one. The motor in my machine was either Thorens or Paillard, I forget which, a single-spring post-and-plate affair that wouldn't play a 12" record on a winding. I had it replaced with a similar two-spring motor that will handle a 12" record, but I kept the original in case I ever sold the machine and the buyer wanted it. Again, assuming I can dig it out, I'd be happy to provide a photo, but I can't imagine a machine as grand as the one under discussion would have come with such a wimpy motor.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

drh wrote:For whatever it's worth, I have a "Swissie" type machine with Spanish dealer tags that has an Imperator reproducer. If you need a photo, I can provide one. The motor in my machine was either Thorens or Paillard, I forget which, a single-spring post-and-plate affair that wouldn't play a 12" record on a winding. I had it replaced with a similar two-spring motor that will handle a 12" record, but I kept the original in case I ever sold the machine and the buyer wanted it. Again, assuming I can dig it out, I'd be happy to provide a photo, but I can't imagine a machine as grand as the one under discussion would have come with such a wimpy motor.
Thanks would be very interested to see the reproducer :-) .