Database Migration

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Database Migration

Post by epigramophone »

When submitting a post there is still sometimes a long delay before getting the 500 Error page, but if I then click on the TMF in my favourites list the Board Index reappears and my post is there. Exactly the same thing happened with this post, hence the edit.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

epigramophone wrote:When submitting a post there is still sometimes a long delay before getting the 500 Error page, but if I then click on the TMF in my favourites list the Board Index reappears and my post is there. Exactly the same thing happened with this post, hence the edit.
The same thing happens with me.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

I am working with the hosting provider’s support team on these issues currently (ticket #8840174).
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

MordEth wrote:I am working with the hosting provider’s support team on these issues currently (ticket #8840174).
Thank you David, it seems you're on the right track, and I'm grateful. How does the hosting differ from the domain? If donations could support the domain renewal, do those donations also "automatically" support the hosting provider (is that even a thing?) Or are they 2 separate entities?

I apologize for my ignorance, and only wish to learn.

Also, I am truly sorry for what you and your friend are going through. Please accept my sincere wishes that all will be well. I lost a very close cousin on November 9th to Melanoma, and was the last person on God's green earth to have a conversation with him. He is only 3 years older than I am.

It's terrible to see someone close get sick, and I'm sorry I didn't say this earlier, but his death was (is?) still very difficult for me. Especially this time of year.

Anyway, thanks again for your efforts,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

fran604g wrote:
MordEth wrote:I am working with the hosting provider’s support team on these issues currently (ticket #8840174).
Thank you David, it seems you're on the right track, and I'm grateful. How does the hosting differ from the domain? If donations could support the domain renewal, do those donations also "automatically" support the hosting provider (is that even a thing?) Or are they 2 separate entities?

Also, I am truly sorry for what you and your friend are going through. Please accept my sincere wishes that all will be well. I lost a very close cousin on November 9th to Melanoma, and was the last person on God's green earth to have a conversation with him. He is only 3 years older than I am.

It's terrible to see someone close get sick, and I'm sorry I didn't say this earlier, but his death was (is?) still very difficult for me. Especially this time of year.

Anyway, thanks again for your efforts,
Fran
Agree.

We lost my dad (multiple myeloma), my mother- in law (in hospice here with us- non Hodgkin's lymphoma), my wife's favorite two uncles (old age) and my cousin Peter who was a year or two older than I (sudden heart attack) all within a 6 week period in June/ July of 2016. I have fond memories of Peter and I running wild at the NY World's Fair when we were kids, and he was also an audio geek- helped me set up my Quadraphonic system many years ago.

Peter's mother, my Aunt Nita, is now alone at age 97 but still fully functional and with quite a sunny attitude on life.

I don't know what's worse- losing those you are close to, or the painful reminders of our own mortality.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Back to the OP.

David, I'm still getting hangs when posting. The post does eventually complete though. White screened a couple of times last night.

Best regards,
Fran

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I'm having the same problems Fran. My view as of about 9:10am Central standard time.
Last edited by MordEth on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted unnecessary screenshot

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

gramophone-georg wrote:Thank you David, it seems you're on the right track, and I'm grateful. How does the hosting differ from the domain? If donations could support the domain renewal, do those donations also "automatically" support the hosting provider (is that even a thing?) Or are they 2 separate entities?

I don’t mind. Think of a domain name as buying a phone number and paying to have it listed. You could then opt to host it yourself (which I have done in the past with other sites), pay another service for hosting (which the TMF does with DreamHost), or some domain registrars also offer hosting services.

In this case, I had already paid DreamHost for 2020’s hosting service, but the domain name is under John’s GoDaddy account (to which I also have the password). Rather than wait for him to renew, since everyone was freaking out about the supposed instability of this site, donations went directly towards a 5-year renewal of the registration. It will expire next on 18 December, 2024.
gramophone-georg wrote: Also, I am truly sorry for what you and your friend are going through. Please accept my sincere wishes that all will be well. I lost a very close cousin on November 9th to Melanoma, and was the last person on God's green earth to have a conversation with him. He is only 3 years older than I am.

Thank you. I think that a lot of people have been understanding, and they make up for the occasional troll who seems to think that because John and I put this forum up, we owe it to them to continue to host and improve the site out of our pockets—forever.

If we keep the Patrons group, and no-one has given me a convincing argument to get rid of it, I wanted to thank everyone who donated to the forum. There was no minimum cut off for it. I was thinking about doing something to recognize long-term members. And maybe something for other phonograph groups...

No doubt it will offend someone.

Over the last few days, my friend’s condition has improved greatly, but he is still in the hospital and has therapy ahead of him after they discharge him. Last night was the first time that he’d asked me to bring him pages from the book he is writing with a friend, so that he could work on them. Previously, he would not have had the energy.

But back to the site: as soon as DreamHost irons out the issues I currently have on two open tickets, the next step will be upgrading. I’m not looking forward to it; I will probably have to do it in multiple steps.
fran604g wrote:Back to the OP.

David, I'm still getting hangs when posting. The post does eventually complete though. White screened a couple of times last night.
Fran,

These issues are why I have two open tickets with DreamHost, which they are working to resolve. The size of the database (due to all of the content generated here) makes this slower and more difficult—as I have mentioned previously, the database powering this site is around 840 MB (bigger than a CD, which would be 700 MB). Currently, the next biggest site that whose database I have compared (a WordPress site with several years of content) is not even 40 MB.

Be assured that I am actively working to fix this place, while juggling everything else I need to get done.

Regards,

David
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thank you for the update, David. I appreciate it, and am happy to hear your friend is doing better. I hope he can make a quick and full recovery!

Best,
Fran

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

fran604g wrote:Thank you for the update, David. I appreciate it, and am happy to hear your friend is doing better. I hope he can make a quick and full recovery!
^^^^ +1 for me as well, David. It's great news to hear that your friend is improving. Thanks for your efforts to help make things better here on the Forum especially considering everything else that you have going on.

Doug