Dreams about antique phonographs and records!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Dreams about antique phonographs and records!

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Reviving my year old thread about another dream I had the night of the 26th...

I dreamt I bought this Edison Standard machine in dirty and rusty condition at an estate sale to restore but no matter what I did something would go wrong and it kept falling apart until it was just a pile of broken cast iron and wood.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I've dreamed about phonos and records several times. Don't remember none of those dreams right now, but I clearly remember a sensation like the one someone has said, anxiety and insatisfaction, for there's always some trouble: or it's cheap to buy but I don't have enough cash to pay, or there's a rush for going away or something. I remember one in a very old store with a looong wooden counter, and piles of cheap 78s everywhere, too big go through them, and I'm in a hurry, and don't have money, just left with the intention to come back later to spend there some hours choosing 78s, and with money in my pocket. But never came back! :?
Inigo

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"In my version, it's the final exam of a college level math class, I've never attended any of the lectures, I can't find the classroom because I've never been there, and I'm not sure what time the exam begins."

Is this some type of common traumatic dream?
I was plagued by similar dreams for years after college...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Once I dreamed that a bad note in English had been left apart in my last school year, so my expedient was invalid, and me being a civil engineer, by this mistake alone all my professional career was put into question, I'd lose my work, etc. What an anguish...! :o
Inigo

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Scuba diving in the Milwaukee River and finding some metal stampers for Paramount records! :D That was a dream I had recently.edisonplayer
Last edited by edisonplayer on Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

That IS a dream...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Bumping my dream thread again... This one I had last night. I was at some sort of junk shop or estate sale in this home with all the lights off and I was the only one there? I come across a case on a stool in the kitchen of this house and immediately recognized it as a suitcase Standard A. I take the top off only to discover it was an empty case with nothing in it. I moved on to a different room and the works to a suitcase Home model A was sitting on the table. I try to look for the case for it and I can’t find it. And I leave this estate sale disappointed. (Even though if I were to come across something like this IRL. I would have still bought it.) It always seems in my dreams about machines I Almost get something I want, but something always goes wrong.

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

One a dream, the other a nightmare (or as close as you could come to one) based in fact.

The Dream: A long wall that was used to divide a highway ,made up entirely of 16 inch shellac broadcast pressings. I knew where the location was and drove there the next day, but there was no sign of the wall having ever been there.

The Nightmare: I was told by Jim Hadfield of a junk shop whose building was to be demolished the next day. It had many hundreds of records in it and Jim went through them as fast as he could. But before he could get through them all,he was asked to leave. He told me that there were lots of HMV and other foreign labels.
I didn't sleep worth a tinkers damn for a week or more as my imagination ran amuck with my concern of what he had to leave behind.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

I hit the Big 5-0 (50) later this year...

My current Phonograph dreams are finding a near Prinstine Edison Idelia somewhere in the wild...

In the meanwhile.... I'd just settle for an Opera model...lol...

A man can dream can't he?!??

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

In the early 2000’s when I was living in Virginia, a woman came into the museum of which I was assistant director on a tour that I conducted. We had a Victor 8-30, an Edison C-250, and an Edison Amberola III on display in the records section. After the tour she pointed to the C-250 and told me that she had one just like it at home, and that actually she had three of them. She said that her late husband collected them and that she had quite a few phonographs and a number of records. Then she told me that she had the “thick, one-sided” records to play on the C-250. I gently corrected her that Edison never produced any single-sided records commercially, but she insisted that I was wrong and became a little offended. Fast forward about 9 months. I receive a phone call from this same woman apologizing that she had checked the records and that I had been right — there were no single-sided Edisons in the batch; and would I be interested in liquidating her husband’s collection for her, and I agreed to do so. A week before the Mooresville show, I drove to the woman’s home in Roanoke and found a large basement packed full of phonographs all-sorts (nothing screamingly rare, unfortunately), and approximately 10,000 disc records. The first day that I was there, I brought all of the phonographs up out of the basement and into her garage to be loaded into a trailer. The next day, I attacked the records, and that took me the rest of the week sorting and washing from early morning until night. The lady let me sleep on a couch on a large glassed-in back porch for the week and that’s where I did my sorting and that’s where and when the nightmares began. Have you ever gone through 10,0000 records? Every night, when I would close my eyes to sleep, all I could see were labels appearing in front of me like flash cards and I couldn’t make it stop. Then I would have a recurring dream that I was driving my truck pulling the trailer and it was so heavy that it wouldn’t go fast and that semi trucks were just blowing by me, and when I would look back in my rear-view mirrors, I couldn’t see the trailer. All week I had these dreams! Where the anxiety was coming from, I don’t know. Maybe the dead husband didn’t want his stuff sold?
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan