Record lubricants and fillers.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Daithi
Victor II

Record lubricants and fillers.

Post by Daithi »

I have been using candle wax or bees wax to fill scratches and help lubricate records. I wonder if this will damage records long term. In many cases its possible to make otherwise unplayable records playable again. I also wonder if there are other lubricants besides waxes that people use on records.
What do people here think about this?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Record lubricants and fillers.

Post by Curt A »

I don't know how good wax works, but I have been using WD-40 on my records to clean and lubricate them for over 40 years with no problems whatsoever... Spray some on a cloth, wipe the records, then wipe it back off with a clean cloth or paper towel...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

Curt A wrote:I don't know how good wax works, but I have been using WD-40 on my records to clean and lubricate them for over 40 years with no problems whatsoever... Spray some on a cloth, wipe the records, then wipe it back off with a clean cloth or paper towel...
I have not heard of using WD-40. Does this improve the background static?

Steve

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

"I have not heard of using WD-40. Does this improve the background static?"

Yes, it does... I started using it years ago whenever I ran across a record that had been played a lot and was noisy... What it does is rejuvenates the shellac, not only in appearance, but also in playability. I use it now to clean all shellac records, Diamond Discs and Amberols, along with Indestructible cylinders. It works great on shellac and celluloid, with no harm done to the originals - it does not dissolve shellac or celluloid.

It removes crud from the grooves and makes those kind of gray, worn records, look great and play better again. It also rejuvenates the black japan paint on phonograph horns... This method always seems to generate a certain level of skepticism, but if you are in doubt, take a record you don't really care about and play it without using the WD-40. Then take the same record, spray it with WD-40, wipe it off and play it again with a steel needle... you will be surprised.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I think with Curt's long use of WD-40 I shall give it ago. 40 years is a long time to show no undesirable effects to the shellac.

Recently lubricants were discussed in this thread. Andy (Orchorsol) the seller of the Burmese Colour Needles recommends ibota wax which he also sells.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31257

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

Yeah I was thinking about Ibota myself. 40 years is a long test alright but the notion of solvents in the WD40 is worrisome. Forty years is a long time. I suppose its worth trying on a record or two. I got plenty of trashed records.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

"the notion of solvents in the WD40 is worrisome".

WD-40 does not have solvents in it that affect shellac... The only solvent for shellac is alcohol and there is no alcohol in WD-40...

My Wife

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

Thanks Curt, I'll try it so.

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

I would be wary of using WD40. It contains a variety of materials in it, which are unknown how they may react to the playing surface. It may not be noticeable in the short-term, but may do long-term damage or may be noticeable on equipment which is more revealing.

I know some people have also used "Mr.Sheen" on 78's - it's a spray furniture "wax and polish". Again, I would be concerned about the contents. Certainly using wax may be potentially less damaging, but it will collect on the styli.

With these historical items, I would be conservative, and just rely on a good washing. It may not look as shiny, but (for me) it's really about how it sounds, not how it looks.

AudioFeline
Victor II
Personal Text: Sounds good to me...

Post by AudioFeline »

And while we are discussing WD40, a mention that it's not good to lubricate mechanicals - it may help in the short term, but in the longer term will jam up. I will use it to lubricate a squeaky door hinge in the house, but nothing mechanical. Safer to use an appropriate lubricant which does not contain detergents.