1929 movie Sally starring Marilyn Miller

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

1929 movie Sally starring Marilyn Miller

Post by marcapra »

I happened to see the excellent early talkie Sally 1929 on TCM and learned that this is the show that had Jerome Kern's hit song Look for the Silver Lining, although the song was written in 1919. This movie was shot in early color, but the movie negative disintegrated. But TCM found a black and white copy, as well as a clip of surviving color. I'm glad I recorded it. Marilyn Miller is the star of the movie, but was also in the original stage production in 1920!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOthCD8n0mA

The movie also has maybe the first appearance of Joe E. Brown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjz2fiuh_Ws
Attachments
Look_for_the_Silver_Lining_cover.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: 1929 movie Sally starring Marilyn Miller

Post by Inigo »

A curiosity question to our British members.. This film, or the musical from which it is taken, has something to do with the famous Sally sung by Gracie Fields?
Inigo

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

There's no connection between the Gracie Fields' Sally, which derives from a song, Sally in our Alley, written in 1725, and the American musical Sally.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

It isn't Brown's first film - though it is one of his early starring appearances. He started out in the silent era in small parts but rose quickly.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

Yes, I found that out after researching him. Laurel and Hardy may be better known now than Joe E. Brown, but at that time, he was the highest paid comedian in film.

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

Sally was available complete (but no color) on a laserdisc in one of the "Dawn of sound" box sets.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

It's also available from the TCM library right now. My brother showed me a list of TCM movies on his iPad that he could instantly relay to his tv for watching.

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

Marilynn Miller was great in this film. She helps highlight the great stars who worked for Ziegfeld in the Follies. Eddie Cantor, Marion Harris and Bert Williams made many records. I do not recall seeing a discography of Miller but I suspect it is slim. I have never come across a Miller recording.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Governor Flyball wrote:Marilynn Miller was great in this film. She helps highlight the great stars who worked for Ziegfeld in the Follies. Eddie Cantor, Marion Harris and Bert Williams made many records. I do not recall seeing a discography of Miller but I suspect it is slim. I have never come across a Miller recording.
She did not record. Her singing was good enough when considered as a part of her stage personality, but was not all that good in itself.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

estott wrote:She did not record. Her singing was good enough when considered as a part of her stage personality, but was not all that good in itself.
I think she was known more for her dancing, as this semi-technicolor scene showcases:

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

Shame she died so young -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_Miller

OrthoFan