Found an original family Victrola VV-XVIII in the wild

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phonolair
Victor III

Re: Found an original family Victrola VV-XVIII in the wild

Post by Phonolair »

Django wrote: He actually did know what he had. He quoted prices that he had seen. I had a nice talk with him on Sunday and he said that they were moving to Florida and couldn’t take it with them and that they wanted it to go to someone that would appreciate it. I told him that I didn’t feel good about only giving him $500 for it, so I gave him $1000, and I feel that I still came out ahead. I have no business sense, but I’m ok with that. Now I have to figure out which machine to re-home.
All the more reason to be proud of it, congrats.

Larry Crandell

msarnold1990
Victor O

Post by msarnold1990 »

Django wrote:
msarnold1990 wrote:Congrats on the find! You were slightly faster than me, I was second in line. They obviously had no idea what they had on their hands.
He actually did know what he had. He quoted prices that he had seen. I had a nice talk with him on Sunday and he said that they were moving to Florida and couldn’t take it with them and that they wanted it to go to someone that would appreciate it. I told him that I didn’t feel good about only giving him $500 for it, so I gave him $1000, and I feel that I still came out ahead. I have no business sense, but I’m ok with that. Now I have to figure out which machine to re-home.

That's good that you gave him a bit more. Im sure they appreciated it! You definitely made out well, you could definitely get your money back and then some. Being a broke recent college grad, I could only offer what he was asking.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Django wrote:
msarnold1990 wrote:Congrats on the find! You were slightly faster than me, I was second in line. They obviously had no idea what they had on their hands.
He actually did know what he had. He quoted prices that he had seen. I had a nice talk with him on Sunday and he said that they were moving to Florida and couldn’t take it with them and that they wanted it to go to someone that would appreciate it. I told him that I didn’t feel good about only giving him $500 for it, so I gave him $1000, and I feel that I still came out ahead. I have no business sense, but I’m ok with that. Now I have to figure out which machine to re-home.
Oh come on. That's a fantastic price for a very fine machine. I had one that looked like new that I resold for $2500...it's the only machine I regret selling. Congratulations!

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I regret mentioning the money and I would not have brought it up except for the post that the obviously had no idea what they had on their hands. How someone conducts business is a personal thing and I had to feel good about the sale when I looked at the machine. We all complain about the falling phonograph market, but like any market, it is controlled by supply and demand, so we are a part of that equation. I would not fault anyone for paying the asking price because the seller set that price, so the buyer got a bargain and did not cheat the seller, (unless the buyer lied to them about the value). There is nothing wrong with paying the asking price unless you are deceiving the seller.

I hope that this brings the conversation back to the a beautiful object from a time when we produced finely crafted objects right here in the USA. I will post more pictures after I clean it up and move it to a better spot of the house.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I understand you. The purchase of my hmv194 went in a similar way twenty years ago... The machine finish had been spoiled and partially removed, but still it a rare machine and it's value is much higher than the 900 Euros I payed for it. I the opportunity to talk to the owner and encourage him to raise the price. That was my first contact with him... He told me he knew that, but he payed that quantity for it, and wanted to recover it simply, and possibly selling it to a proud and loving owner. That's how it finally ended in my own hands.
Inigo

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

They may have shared floor space. The original owner was a Boston leather merchant named Max Stone.
More than likely they did! Mine has the same tag as yours, placed in the same location under the Victor tag. The folks I bought mine from didn't recall the name of their relatives' employers, only that the home was on Beacon Street.

As a young artist in the 1970s I lived in lofts near Boston's leather district, and I remember a huge brick wall in the South Station area painted, in letters quite faded by then, with the name of Max Stone writ very, very large. There's been so much redevelopment in that area, though, that I'd be surprised to learn it's still there.
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Love it! And the story gets better and better. Jerry

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Gorgeous XVIII, and I commend your honesty and generosity with the seller. I've always done the same if the situation called for it. A little ethics goes a long way in my book and I sleep well at night knowing I didn't take advantage of someone. I look forward to more photos, yours looks about the same as mine was when I got it and it cleaned up incredibly well.

Congrats!

Sean

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

Holy Moly, you grabbed that from right under my nose! :lol:

Congratulations on the find - and good for you for your honesty/generosity with them. I am looking forward to seeing more pictures
Last edited by mick_vt on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Such a neat piece of history and great story to go with it! Please share some more pics, as this is my absolute favorite model Victrola.

How far did you have to drive to get it? How do the record books look? Any other accessories come in it?

Oh, and congratulations!