HMV 102 - help dating and few questions/concerns

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: HMV 102 - help dating and few questions/concerns

Post by Inigo »

A correct latch for this model could appear at any moment in eBay.co.uk They're farily common. Search for gramophone parts or 102 parts. Many people are selling parts for their cases have gone out of possible restoration.

For the good sound, apart from finely adjusting the fulcrum screws, which is a bit tricky, there are other things that can be done. A new fresh rubber back connector will improve sound greatly. In case you want, you may add a thin cord of white vynil glue all around the rubber neck border where it ends on the tonearm, sealing all around with it. It can be easily removed later if needed. But if you get a new fresh and supple rubber neck, this is not needed.

The adjustment of the tonearm bearing, adding some thick oil where the bearing balls are (don't take them out, just add the oil before screwing the adjusting ring completely) will improve the sealing in this area. Before reinstalling the tonearm on its base, you can also add some thick grease to the horn throat, to ensure the sealing with the tonearm flange.

The 102 should sound astonishing when properly restored; nothing to envy the great cabinet machines except for the overall BIG volume that the big horns give. But think that the 102 has an almost 4 feet long sound system, and if you add the effect of the lid, it's more. Look for some videos of 102 machines in youtube, and you'll see how great they can sound. A fine adjustment of the soundbox seems a little thing, but can add much to the sound quality.

See mine in this video. for instance... https://youtu.be/NLs17N_3CIM and it has been recorded directly with a Huawei P8 Lite cell phone of 2017... Still the sound on the PC small speakers is great. Mine is a MOS example, with serial number B/9 10282, of 1945.
Inigo

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

Inigo wrote:A correct latch for this model could appear at any moment in eBay.co.uk They're farily common. Search for gramophone parts or 102 parts. Many people are selling parts for their cases have gone out of possible restoration.

For the good sound, apart from finely adjusting the fulcrum screws, which is a bit tricky, there are other things that can be done. A new fresh rubber back connector will improve sound greatly. In case you want, you may add a thin cord of white vynil glue all around the rubber neck border where it ends on the tonearm, sealing all around with it. It can be easily removed later if needed. But if you get a new fresh and supple rubber neck, this is not needed.

The adjustment of the tonearm bearing, adding some thick oil where the bearing balls are (don't take them out, just add the oil before screwing the adjusting ring completely) will improve the sealing in this area. Before reinstalling the tonearm on its base, you can also add some thick grease to the horn throat, to ensure the sealing with the tonearm flange.

The 102 should sound astonishing when properly restored; nothing to envy the great cabinet machines except for the overall BIG volume that the big horns give. But think that the 102 has an almost 4 feet long sound system, and if you add the effect of the lid, it's more. Look for some videos of 102 machines in youtube, and you'll see how great they can sound. A fine adjustment of the soundbox seems a little thing, but can add much to the sound quality.

See mine in this video. for instance... https://youtu.be/NLs17N_3CIM and it has been recorded directly with a Huawei P8 Lite cell phone of 2017... Still the sound on the PC small speakers is great. Mine is a MOS example, with serial number B/9 10282, of 1945.
Very nice video and also a very excellent version of 'One of these days'.

Lots of great description in your accompanying text there as well. I'm already further ahead in that there are no holes in the diaphragm and the spider is in great shape as well.

I've had a 'poke' at the isolator/flange [seems to be a couple of accepted terms for this bit] and its flexible ... I actually think it may be a fairly recently replaced one.

So I'm going to follow all the advice about sealing leaks [glue, grease, oil and tightening] and adjusting the needle bar. I'm sure these will all help a lot.

I did find a latch on ebay for only 14 euros ... then I looked at the silly amount beings asked to ship it! If you want 40 euros ... just ask for 40 euros :roll:

For someone maybe looking at this post in the future - I also found a someone in the UK asking a very reasonable amount for reproduction aluminum back if your 5b or a is completely toast.

https://www.windupgram.co.uk/replacemen ... und-boxes/

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

burke wrote:I did find a latch on ebay for only 14 euros ... then I looked at the silly amount beings asked to ship it! If you want 40 euros ... just ask for 40 euros :roll:
I suggest you write a message to the seller: he possibly recycled a previous ad as a "model" for this one, and he's unaware of the excessive postage fare.

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

... por hoy may want to wait. Don't be in a hurry. These latches can appear for much less. You may want to post a WANTED enquiry at the Yankee Trader section of the forum. You can obtain a suitable latch for a fair price. Many uk members in this forum may help. The 102 is in England behind each corner!
Inigo

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

No rush on my part ... As I mentioned at the top I waited a solid year to it to arrive already.

Acoustics first - cosmetics later :D

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

There is a lid catch currently on UK eBay, but I don't know whether the seller posts outside the UK or what postage might cost.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HMV-102-port ... %7Ciid%3A1

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

epigramophone wrote:There is a lid catch currently on UK eBay, but I don't know whether the seller posts outside the UK or what postage might cost.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HMV-102-port ... %7Ciid%3A1

Yup that is the one I saw ...
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (15.74 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

Nope ... :)

shoshani
Victor I

Post by shoshani »

Inigo wrote: The 102 should sound astonishing when properly restored; nothing to envy the great cabinet machines except for the overall BIG volume that the big horns give. But think that the 102 has an almost 4 feet long sound system, and if you add the effect of the lid, it's more. Look for some videos of 102 machines in youtube, and you'll see how great they can sound. A fine adjustment of the soundbox seems a little thing, but can add much to the sound quality.

I also have a MOS 102, although I don't have the serial handy, but compared with my two HMV 109 table cabinet machines, it more than holds its own in the big volume department. I can only use "extra soft" needles, which I buy from soundgen, with my HMV portables; anything bigger than that and I have to go outside the house to listen comfortably! :lol:

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Shoshani, I always play my 101s, 102, and the 127 and 194 using bamboo needles. I only use steel (soft) when the record is too worn.
The 102 works well with bamboo, but worse than the others due to the bad tracking angle, especially on the edge of 12" records.
Inigo