Micro Perophone 1926 MP3 Player

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Daithi
Victor II

Micro Perophone 1926 MP3 Player

Post by Daithi »

The attached photo includes a description of a micro perophone machine from 1926 which is just before the Chromogram era.
Attachments
MicroPerophone.jpg
Last edited by Daithi on Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Daithi
Victor II

Re: Micro Perophone1926

Post by Daithi »

I think this is the machine described in the article.
Please advise
Attachments
MicroPerophone1926.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Micro Perophone 1926

Post by Curt A »

It appears to be, according to the label inside the lid...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Daithi
Victor II

Re: Micro Perophone 1926 MP3 Player.

Post by Daithi »

It also follows the description of the horn mouth exiting in the space behind the motor board in the same manner as a portable. He describes it as Model MP3 which would probably make it the first ever MP3 player. :lol:

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Micro Perophone 1926 MP3 Player

Post by Curt A »

Who knew...? A hand cranked MP3 player... :?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I would love to know what the pattern is for the horn in this machine. Does it work like a portable horn or is it inside down the back of the cabinet and coming back up through the top?

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:I would love to know what the pattern is for the horn in this machine. Does it work like a portable horn or is it inside down the back of the cabinet and coming back up through the top?
Its the strangest thing. A piece of paper in the case titled Cullum's Patents with a reference to 13722/26 and 16850/26 and a dire warning about infringment and the consequences.

See attached photo.
Attachments
MicroPerophoneHorn.jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

What an interesting folded horn, somewhat futuristic in design! This gramophone is really a "portable on steroids", with legs and all.

It would have been easy to design a horn both longer and with a larger mouth, without changing the position of all other parts, but once again it hasn't been done and I wonder why.

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: It would have been easy to design a horn both longer and with a larger mouth, without changing the position of all other parts, but once again it hasn't been done and I wonder why.
Yes, I'm surprised they did not fill the entire space available. Another aspect of the machine is the very thin wall thickness enclosing the space itself. As a result it is a very resonant cabinet. The woodsides and back are a mere 6mm or ¼" thick which leads me to believe that the entire cabinet is designed to resonate in sympathy with the horn. The lid is only slightly thicker as also is the motorboard and it also resonates. Clearly the horn is designed to drive the entire cabinet.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

If they ever bring the phonograph back, this is the first machine they need to copy. Make these--not the massive Credenzas and whatnot that are hard enough to give away. Make a simple, straightforward, lightweight machine like this.

I wish they were find-able in the United States. It's an interesting piece for sure. Thanks for the pictures of the horn! It looks like that weird blackletter-font S that kids draw on bathroom walls, but with a phonograph stuck to it. The angles make me wonder if it was built by the people behind the Plano-Reflex tonearm,