6 inch concert cylinder record worth?

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
ts_13
Victor II

6 inch concert cylinder record worth?

Post by ts_13 »

I found a 6 inch concert cylinder. WHat are they worth? It was moldy, with the box.

Thanks for any advice.

T

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: 6 inch concert cylinder record worth?

Post by Curt A »

Moldy cylinder value: $0 The empty box, in good condition: $30...?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I'm presuming you mean a 5 inch cylinder ("Concert" is an Edison; "Grand" is a Columbia). If so I agree with Curt's valuation of the cylinder. I think $10 is closer to the going rate for decent "Concert" and "Grand" boxes.

George P.

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

Sorry I mispoke, I am not well versed in these at all. Its a 5 inch dia concert record. I was looking for a 6 inch 3 minute record but he had this concert. I would say its non playable, just a shelf sitter.

THanks guys! A friend of mine was looking for a 3 minute 6 inch long cylinder but I found this one. I wasnt sure, he wanted $25, I passed on it but was wondering what it may be worth. I am always learning something.. or trying to anyway! hahah

Thanks guys,

T

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Curt A wrote:Moldy cylinder value: $0 The empty box, in good condition: $30...?
Couldn't ones that are completely molded be valuable for making blanks? I assume creating modern concert sized blanks is quite difficult.

Martin

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

I suppose you could make a blank out of it, and destroy it, and if this was done enough it would make the value of the pristine ones more valuable. I am working to put out a new 5" cylinder since I just got the parts for the recording and playback of 5" cylinders. And Paul Morris makes 5" cylinders as well. When they came out they were very expensive, $3.00 each, and by 1900 $1.00 each. Most moldy ones I have seen are $20-30.00 to be shaved, new blanks from the UK at $50.00. I have a Graphophone Grand record that was moldy, and I was going to make a blank out of it, however, I cleaned it with lab tone and distilled water. The cylinder was caked with white powdery mold, and when I cleaned it, it came off as brown gunk, and the grooves look much better than I could imagine. Shure pitting exists, where the mold had eaten some of the stearic. A 5" cylinder record has a lot of surface area the sound waves are big and spaced out, so it still plays loudly and clearly, just with noise. I really question people's motives when I have seen the difference for myself.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

I have a few nice playable 5" cylinders with minor mold... What the heck is LAB TONE??

Very interested..

Blizz

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

fmblizz wrote:I have a few nice playable 5" cylinders with minor mold... What the heck is LAB TONE??

Very interested..

Blizz
Labtone (one word) is a cleaner used by many of us for cleaning wax cylinders safely. Rich Gordon used to sell it in small pouches. You mix it with distilled water, soak a soft cloth with it, and drag the cloth across the grooves. If you search the board for "labtone" you'll find more info.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Thanks for the reply,,, I'll check with Rich..

blizz

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

This is an example of a Grand record that was caked with white powdery mold. The mold does some damage, but brown wax is not as affected as when black wax gets that rusty crust on it, it eats some of the recordings, but cleaning can make it audible, not perfect but still playable. This is a Columbia New York and London record. https://youtu.be/HQt_CX94FQg