Just bought this Cheney upright.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Just bought this Cheney upright.

Post by marcapra »

I just bought this Cheney upright Model no. 5 "Georgian" in dark mahogany with gold hardware. I am attracted to well-made off brands like this. It has a gutta percha diaphragm which still sounds good, but I'm having Wyatt put new gaskets and rubber in the two reproducers. This is the only phonograph I've ever had where the needles are breech loaded from the back. You are supposed to set the reproducer on the step that gives you the sound you want, but with today's shorter needles, I have to always put it on the lowest step or the needle will just fall out the bottom. The Cheney was made from 1914 to 1925, so they missed entering the Orthophonic era. At some point Cheney started advertising that the Berkey and Gay furniture co. of Grand Rapids, MI made their cabinets, so they put the Berkey and Gay logo on the left side of the lid. That logo is not on my Cheney because I assume it is an earlier model. On the back of the cabinet, there is the maker's plate and a patent date of 1916 and another date of 1917. After reading Mr. Wakeman's article on Cheney at the APS website, I assume that the first six styles were the line up in the teens. In the early 20s, Cheney concentrated much effort making many console models, some with battery type radios. After playing some records, both acoustic and electric, I was surprised how good it sounded for a reproducer that had not been worked on. The horn is also very different looking. It's a free-floating spruce horn that is stained with a mahogany finish. You can see the blonde spruce wood in the throat of the horn. The stepped, octagonal tonearm is what most people remember about Cheney machines, the the horn neck leading to the spruce horn is also stepped. Cheney advertised that this strange looking design was based on sound acoustical engineering, but much of it was probably to protect it from Victor lawsuits. They were sued by Victor, but won in court.
Attachments
P1020177.jpeg
P1020176.jpeg
P1020175.jpeg
P1020174.jpeg
P1020171.jpeg
P1020170.jpeg
P1020169.jpeg
P1020168.jpeg
P1020159.jpeg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Just bought this Cheney upright.

Post by Phono-Phan »

Very nice. I love the contrast between the gold plated parts and the cabinet.

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

Very nice,

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Wow! I had no idea what the stepped reproducer rest was for. Never knew of the needle setting technique. Thanks for pointing that out. Really interesting!

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

Looks beautiful!

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

The condition is just stunning. For a well preserved Cheney to end up in the hands for a forum member who can appreciate and preserve it is very good news. Congratulations. Definitely a keeper.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Looks like you purchased a really nice example. I also like the contrast between the gold and mahogany. I'g glad people purchased a variety of machines back in thew day. It gives us the wonderful variety of machines that we love to collect.

Jerry B.

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Such a handsome machine----I had one of these about 30 years ago. Mine had the Berkey & Gay medallion inside the lid, on the left side I think. Mine had a few of the Cheney albums with it. I sold it to make room for something else, but never saw another one for sale again, either. Sounded good enough, not a "loud" machine but I had never replaced the gaskets on the reproducers either. I'd be interested in how it turns out once you get the refreshed reproducers on it.

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

So glad you were able to find one, Marc, it's a gorgeous machine!

I thought Cheney first introduced machine in 1916? I didn't know as early as 1914.
(https://www.antiquephono.org/cheney-tal ... j-wakeman/)

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

What a handsome machine... glad you found one! :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek